free website stats program Battery Seems Weak | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Seems Weak

joel

I have the 2015 CVO Limited, getting reading for a road trip and while not having any real change in the way the starter cranks the engine, it has always had a slight drag at the beginning of crank, I thought I would check the battery and charge rate.
These are after the bike sat for 6 + hrs measured at the remote trickle charger connection
Key off 12.85 volts
Key on engine off 12.34 voltage
Cranking voltage 8.35
Idle charge rate 13.82 [ did not raise RPM after start up ]
2500 RPM charge rate 14.02
Idle charge rate 14.02
Cold Cranking amps rating is 385, tested at 335, at the battery
Getting the 500 cold cranking amp battery on it's way
I can't post in the self help section so hope this is the right category

Good post, thanks. That 3-4 yr.old battery owes you nothing. The new one will spin the motor better, and you won't have the worry of a dead battery on your trip.

I'll echo what Pete says, you never know when a battery will start going bad, better to invest in a new one

Replaced the battery yesterday.
2 things.
The OE battery is rated at 405 cca. My statement of 385 was from a battery book
2 nd it starts so much better now.

I have the 2015 CVO Limited, getting reading for a road trip and while not having any real change in the way the starter cranks the engine, it has always had a slight drag at the beginning of crank, I thought I would check the battery and charge rate.
These are after the bike sat for 6 + hrs measured at the remote trickle charger connection
Key off 12.85 volts
Key on engine off 12.34 voltage
Cranking voltage 8.35
Idle charge rate 13.82 [ did not raise RPM after start up ]
2500 RPM charge rate 14.02
Idle charge rate 14.02
Cold Cranking amps rating is 385, tested at 335, at the battery
Getting the 500 cold cranking amp battery on it's way
I can't post in the self help section so hope this is the right category
Time for a new battery.
If your battery drops below 10 Volts when cranking it’s not doing the job.
Your no-load Volts at12.85v are good: your “key on” Volts are somewhat low, but your charging Volts seem to be as expected. That is:satisfactory.
Load test your battery- but as mentioned if it’s dropping to 8 Volts then it can’t even power up your ECU or ignition system.
Is it still the 2015 battery that came with the bike? If so, it’s had its day and now it’s due to meet its replacement.

Back