free website stats program Battery Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Replacement

HD Battery is an AGM type...and price wise may be $15 to $20 more then the comparable aftermarket one. In my case...they are the only supplier for the 2004-2006 Sportster battery THAT fits, and the stock one fits TIGHT.

Plus...easier to get HD from dealership vs. ordering online & paying huge shipping charges. For me - HD battery works fine.

Buy the cheapest battery that you can find and change every spring or buy a HD battery which will last 3 years.

For me, I will always use the HD battery.

I personally think that the Odyssey Batteries are significantly more robust than the HD battery. I am not sure who makes the batteries for HD.

I had the Odyssey in my '03 UC for 4 1/2 years of pretty constant duty (daily ride back and forth to work), but I keep my battery on a tender when not riding. I only switched to the HD battery because I could not wait on the replacement from mail order. The HD battery was $30-40 more than the cost of getting one shipped to me.

BTW - Chopper now has the Odyssey batteries for sale.

Odyssey Batteries

TQ

If you have a Batteries Plus store in your area check the price for the HD battery. It's also made by Deka and the exact same at about $40 less.

I don't really know how important it is to replace with a HD battery but my original HD battery lasted 5 1/2 years and I'll be the first to admitt that it didn't get an over abundance of attention. In the past on other bikes I've replaced batteries with supposed top of the line aftermarket batteries and did everything I could think of to take care of them and in 2 or 3 years had to replace them anyway. If 5 plus years is close to normal service life of a HD battery then I'll gladly pay a lttle more for one. Plus,you can just walk into you're dealer and get one off the self,don't have to worry about ordering and shipping and handling.

Yuasa makes the black Harley batteries and they make them for less money than they used to. Good quality and they fit right.

Back