free website stats program Battery life | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery life

Billbo

Ok I have a simple question. I have a 2 year old HD battery installed by dealer who also said the charging system was operating just fine.

Question is without being on a battery tender, how long could or should the battery maintain a full charge when just sitting parked in a garage? No electrical drain as far as I know.

obviously my battery ran down and I was just wondering. It is always (normally) connected to the battery tender Jr when parked in my shop and I have no problems.

thanks for replys
Bill

The long and short answer is a battery goes thru charge and discharge thru its lifetime, keeping it on a tender is the best advice plus it helps to keep your charging system from over working. Expect to see 12.7 volts on a fully charged battery after a surface charge is removed.

The long and short answer is a battery goes thru charge and discharge thru its lifetime, keeping it on a tender is the best advice plus it helps to keep your charging system from over working. Expect to see 12.7 volts on a fully charged battery after a surface charge is removed.

thanks Jack - do you think it would go down within about 4-6 weeks if NOT on the tender?

Bill

thanks Jack - do you think it would go down within about 4-6 weeks if NOT on the tender?

Bill

Sure, The speedo and ECM draw power even when the bike is not running, if your battery load tests OK keep it on a tender:s

Modern electronics often need a wee bit of power through them to maintain settings and provide a faster boot time so a vehicle battery will drain if left connected over a period of time
My old bikes on the other hand keep the charge for a long time however i do use an optimate charger every couple of months during the cold season

Brian

Sure, The speedo and ECM draw power even when the bike is not running, if your battery load tests OK keep it on a tender:s

OK Jack, I hooked up the battery tender and let it stay for a week, then it still would NOT crank the bike - just 'clicked" (solinoid I guess). The battery is 5 years old - I spose it's timie for a new one - what do you think?

Bill

OK Jack, I hooked up the battery tender and let it stay for a week, then it still would NOT crank the bike - just 'clicked" (solinoid I guess). The battery is 5 years old - I spose it's timie for a new one - what do you think?

Bill

I would think after 5 yrs. it would be time for a new one.
tourbox
Dead as a hammer? Like Ray said 5 years time for a new battery

Back