free website stats program Battery is Junk, but.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery is Junk, but....

duns

HI, Im new here. Thanks for having me.
I just pulled out mt 1990 1200 sportster after 6 years. Tried charging the Harley battery and will not charge. Need a battery when I can afford one. I took the carb apart, soaked it and put her back together. Anyways... Now, i just want to turn the motor over without the plugs installed first. SO, what I did was hooked up a charger to my dead battery and cranked the engine, only to hear a click, click. Also the RPM gauge needle was buried when trying to start.
So took battery out and connected the charger directly to the positive negative wires on the bike and same thing. Engine wont crank over.
I took the primary cover off and took out the starter. What should I do now?:33:

Well Im going to take a wild stab at this...:)...I dont think your charger has enough amps to run your bike...Id put the starter back on and try it again with a fresh battery..:)..

That came to mind also..... but the charger is a car charger with the start switch option. Thinking that would be significant enough. Maybe not..:/

The first thing to do is to remove both battery cables and clean both ends and refit get a good battery fully charge it on a slow charge and try again
Do not try a jump start from a running vehicle and as Mat said the battery charger will not deliver sufficient amps to turn the engine over

Brian

OK... While I have the starter out is their anything I can do with it? Inspect it for wear internally? I already slide the plunger out with the spring and greased it lightly.

Welcome to the forum from Colorado. Good advice from all posts, you might check and make sure everything is free and moving on the starter. Fresh gas with a couple oz of sea foam will work wonders.

Thanks for the advice. :) I'm going to install the starter back in, I cleaned all connections including starter connections and lightly greased the plunger in the starter. I am going to the Harley dealership today to pick up a $120 dollar battery.
Hope she will turn over.
I will keep you updated.

Hopefully a new battery works out for you. Always start with the basics after any hibernation of bike.... Is the fuel in the tank that old also?????? Tires weather check???????

My car charger will not generate any power without a battery (load) connected to it. I would replace the battery, since you will have to do that anyway, before I start disassembling the bike.

Back