free website stats program Battery Drain when not using 250mA draw | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Drain when not using 250mA draw

Ricky_53

New Member, I am a 55 year old newbe.... 2002
Super Dyna FXD, My first and only bike, only owner.

I am having problems finding where a 250 mA draw on my battery is coming from, This draw only occurs while the switch is off and the bike is parked. I did some basic troubleshooting but am stumped due to lack of experience.
These are the steps that I took to isolate the problem, could be a bad TSSM Module.

AC Voltage @ 2000 RPM 58V (OK Alternator)
DC Charging 13.8 Volts (OK Regulator)
Battery New

1) To find the area the drain was coming from I put a amp meter between the + battery post to the + lead.
2) I removed each fuse in the fuse box until the amp draw stopped, the Security fuse was where the problem was.
3) followed the Fuse Wire BN/GY (Brown and Gray) to the horn assembly, I do not have a custom alarm on my bike. but the TSSM has been wired for it from the factory.
4) Followed the other end to the TSSM Module pin number 1 which turns out to be the Battery input to the TSSM.
5) I put the Security fuse back in, unpluged the TSSM 12 Pin connection and the 250mA Draw went away.

My Question is Does the TSSM Modules go out or is there something else that can cause the battery draw that fools you into thinking that it is the TSSM. Like a faulty switch on the handle bar, I did continuity checking with my Ohm Meter but didn't find any sort circuit condition in any of the switches.

Where is the best place to buy a replacement part?

Thanks for your time.... any recommendations will be appreciated.

Ricky_53

The TSSM (alarm) will cause a draw and probably what you are seeing. Normal for the system.

Well I have never measured the current drain on my bike but 250mA sounds high. Are you sure it is 250 and not 25?

Did you wait for the draw to come down?When the key/current is first withdrawn it will spike and slowly come down after 60-120 seconds.You can also put the alarm into storage mode when parking for an extended period.

I have a 2007 FLHTP that has had numerous modifications. My battery died and I replaced it with a new HD battery. When I installed the negative terminal, I saw a fairly strong spark. I asked my dealer and he said this is normal. I was mostly concerned becaused prior to the battery dying, I added a Sirius receiver to my Kenwood Stereo system and added Hog Tunes rear speakers. What is an acceptable amp drain on the battery and what is the best way to test for it?

The current draw of 250mA is way too high with ignition system and all accesoories OFF. Should be closer to 30mA so the TSSM when unplugged removed it...? I would say check the entire turn signal, alarm system and tail light wiring...sadly, you may have found your porblem is likely the TSSM.

Dont forget that any radio with a clock will also draw form the battery.

By the way this post is over 2 years old

Back