free website stats program Battery charging! | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery charging!

Dublin Dave

On the way up to the mates house to take the battery out of his 2000 RK and bring it down to my garage to charge,so:

What tools do i require to take out the battery, i.e is it as simple as a Jap bike ?

and after charging and replacement, is there a sequence to restart the bike when I re-install the battery?

Cheer's Guys
Dave:newsmile029:

On the way up to the mates house to take the battery out of his 2000 RK and bring it down to my garage to charge,so:

What tools do i require to take out the battery, i.e is it as simple as a Jap bike ?

and after charging and replacement, is there a sequence to restart the bike when I re-install the battery?

Cheer's Guys

I have an '03 UC. Need a 3/8" combo wrench (10mm) to take off the terminal leads, and a LARGE torx to loosen the hold down. Not sure the exact size on the torx fastener. Might be a 55? Maybe larger. I don't remember the size. Make sure you disarm the security system BEFORE you take off the leads!! Disconnect the negative lead first.

When you put the battery back in the bike, you will be good to go. Connect the positive first.

TQ

Thanks TQ,
Straight forwad enough so, when you say disarm the alarm , this is by pressing the fob as if to ride?

Although, just looking in the self help section and glider has posted some sequence to re activate alarm system when the battery is re-installed.
any help on this one!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TQ,
Straight forwad enough so, when you say disarm the alarm , this is by pressing the fob as if to ride?

Right. If it is armed when you disconnect the battery, the siren (if equipped) will go off!!

TQ

Last edited:

Cheer's Guys

Hi Dave,

If your mate has a trickle charger, when you take the battery out - its a great opportunity to rig the leads (usually supplied with the charger) to the terminals for charging on the stand. The leads end in a weather proof covered female socket which you make sure is well secured within and just coming out from behind the battery cover so it doesn't loosen and get tangled up in something vital while he's hammering around the M50 (if the traffic is moving fast enough that is!) :D.

Although, just looking in the self help section and glider has posted some sequence to re activate alarm system when the battery is re-installed.
any help on this one!!

Hmmm. Post me a link to this. I have never had to do anything special on my bike other than hook up the battery. I have had the current battery disconnected numerous times and sometimes for an extended period of time. I installed this battery new in '06. The only thing I have had to do was to reprogram the radio channel buttons and set the clock.

Just clicked with me that you guys are in Europe and may have the auto-set security system. I think that you may need to turn the ignition on and then pull the maxi-fuse BEFORE disconnecting the battery or your security system may go on once you disconnect the battery. Not exactly sure about this. Maybe Glider or Hobbit can comment.

See here (same as Hobbit's comments below):

HDI Battery Disconnects - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
Just clicked with me that you guys are in Europe and may have the auto-set security system. I think that you may need to turn the ignition on and then pull the maxi-fuse BEFORE disconnecting the battery or your security system may go on once you disconnect the battery. Not exactly sure about this. Maybe Glider or Hobbit can comment.

TQ

Sounds about right to me TQ. Not absolutely sure if the procedure would be the same on the HDI models but give it a try.

if its a HDI bike take the fob to the bike and turn on the ignition.
then remove the maxi fuse this disarms the alarm without the resultant siren alert.
Disconnect the battery and connect the tails for the trickle charger.
reconnect the battery
make sure the the ignition has not been switched off and reinstall the maxi fuse the bike will go back into standby ready for you to start the bike.
turn it off and ensure the alarm arms 2 flashes of the indicators
walk away and wait 2mins return to the bike and turn on and start
it should start right up without any issue.
have done this many times with all mine when adding the charger tails

Hobbit said it nicer than me :newsmile090:

As always,
Thanks for the useful tips yet again, I owe you all a creamy pint of GUINNESS and as your not here to drink them I'll do that for ye's, tonight.:bigsmiley8::bigsmiley8:
Dont do the M50 cedarbrook63 car drivers to crazy and dont look out for motorbikes. More pleasure chucking through the city...:bigsmiley30:

Thanks again...HIC...

Back