free website stats program battery Change | Harley Davidson Forums

battery Change

hillbilly81

I just changed the battery in my 2014 Road King now it will not start...ran like a top before the change...Connections are tight and hooked up right...everything comes on when you turn on the key. It spins fast and starts to fire everytime ...but will not start ...any help would be much appreciated

UPDATE...now it starts but just chugs and will not rev up when i give it the gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it sound like it is in "parade mode"? Try rolling the throttle back beyond idle, then see if it takes throttle. I don't know if there is a fuse for the TBW system, look in your owners manual, it may tell you.

Does it sound like it is in "parade mode"? Try rolling the throttle back beyond idle, then see if it takes throttle. I don't know if there is a fuse for the TBW system, look in your owners manual, it may tell you.
Nothing when I roll the throttle...I had never had the battery out from new...I thought maybe let it sit a bit and give it another try

Since it ran like a top before the battery change, something in the electrical system has changed. I would go with joel's suggestion and check fuses.

Since it ran like a top before the battery change, something in the electrical system has changed. I would go with joel's suggestion and check fuses.
all fuses checked good..there is a relay in there..not sure what it controls...guess i will change it out

Did you need to unplug anything to gain access to the battery?
Seems to me that above the battery on the flh there is or was a module to remove before I was able to lift out the battery.
If you did need to unplug anything than disconnect it, inspect the pins to be sure none are bent and reconnect.
Something besides the new battery is causing this.
May also want to remove the battery so you can look down in the support area to see if something became unplugged.

Gotta agree with the above posts, something had to been disturbed when you changed out the battery.
Replacing the battery won't affect the running of the bike like you described.

Back