free website stats program Battery care | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery care

DDogg

This site and you people have been a great help in getting me back into the biker scene. I'm 55 and just bought a 2008 Fat Bob. My question is that in a month or so I have to get this bike ready to store for the winter. I live in Michigan so our winters are long and cold. If I remove the battery for the winter months, will this effect the security system on my bike. What if anything do I have to do to make sure when I put the battery back in that I don't have to get it to the dealer to set my pin number and all that.

Take glider's advice...Schumacker (brand) battery maintainer cost me $32 at Advance Auto Parts. Seen a post here that said Wal-Mart had them for $18. Checked it out thinking it was a different one,but was the same!...I bought 2 more for my other vehicles....It's the way to go.

Another +1 for the battery tender. I just replaced the original battery in my 2001 Fatboy. I haven't been able to ride it much the last few years but I tend to keep it on the charger when parked. That 7yr old battery would still start the bike but I didn't want to take a chance on it failing at the 105th.

You mean if you disconnect the cables from the battery or replace the battery, the security system on the bike needs to be reprogrammed?

I live in Onario Canada and it gets very cold in the winter.

Will a battery conected to a battery tender survive the winters.

I have this fear that motorcycle batteries dont survive the cold.

yes it will survive

I just stumbled across a battery tender post.
Someone in Alberta uses his battery tender at -30.. I'm amazed.

I sent that individual a PM asking for the battery tender name.
I will also check out the ones you mentioned.
Optimate and Datatool

Thanks

This site and you people have been a great help in getting me back into the biker scene. I'm 55 and just bought a 2008 Fat Bob. My question is that in a month or so I have to get this bike ready to store for the winter. I live in Michigan so our winters are long and cold. If I remove the battery for the winter months, will this effect the security system on my bike. What if anything do I have to do to make sure when I put the battery back in that I don't have to get it to the dealer to set my pin number and all that.

You mean if you disconnect the cables from the battery or replace the battery, the security system on the bike needs to be reprogrammed?

no, you don't need to do anything special when you take out the battery, your ecm, and your security system will be fine when you put the battery back in. If you have a Thundermax tuner you have to reinitialize the ECM when you put it back in. It's a good Idea to pull the ECM fuse when disconnecting the battery.
If you use a battery tender make sure to get a good one with a good reputaion, I bought a cheapo years ago and it completely fried my battery.

I think you will find that if you disconnect the battery and you have a smart siren that it will be pretty noisy in your house.:D

You have to turn on the ignition first then disconnect the battery.

Back