free website stats program batery dies | Harley Davidson Forums

batery dies

georubino

after riding 80 or so miles and shutting down the bike i was unable to restart the bike. all i got was click click click. i put a regulator onlast year and the battery is only a year old too. how do i test the rest of the system? george

after riding 80 or so miles and shutting down the bike i was unable to restart the bike. all i got was click click click. i put a regulator onlast year and the battery is only a year old too. how do i test the rest of the system? george

First things first. Do the easy stuff FIRST! Check the voltage across the terminals with a VOM. If less then 12 volts, charge the battery while you do the rest below.

Remove the battery cables (negative first) at the battery, clean both mating surfaces with a wire brush and reinstall on the battery (negative last!) making sure that the connection is nice and tight.

Then check that the nut on the starter securing the positive cable is tight (watch out that you don't touch anything else but the nut with the wrench!). Make sure that the ground end of the negative cable is tight (probably on the starter mounting fastener). Then check the grounds on the lighter wires under the seat or where ever they are.

Try to start now. Better? If not, pull the battery and take it over to an autoparts shop and have them load test it. If this is OK, probably starter. If the battery is shot, there's your answer.

TQ

I just had the same thing happen to me. The stator on my bike went out. I would check the stator and voltage regulator. Start the bike and then unplug we the wires from the stator and voltage regulator are connected. Get your meter and put it into the connection that comes from the stator. you should get about 13.8.

I just had the same thing happen to me. The stator on my bike went out. I would check the stator and voltage regulator. Start the bike and then unplug we the wires from the stator and voltage regulator are connected. Get your meter and put it into the connection that comes from the stator. you should get about 13.8.

As 01 point out above, if the battery stuff I suggested does not get it, there may be a problem with the charging system which is why your battery was discharged. See here:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

First things first ck the stator plug to see if it came loose hd is famous for it,jel

RIGHT!! Well there ya go. That was easy!

Glider has posted a link to some alternative doodads that hold the VR/stator plug in place. Not sure where it's at tho'. I know that J&P Cycles has em too.

TQ

Back