free website stats program Basic ignition wiring question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Basic ignition wiring question.

neverdown

To help me out, you need the Amen Chassisworks Wiring Diagram, found on this sit, I dont know where it is, though.

On the diagram, it shows a starter button, which I don't have...I have an off-on-start key ignition.

On the diagram, it shows the coil wire going to the start button, then to the relay which goes to the ignition, or "start". My Crane instructions say the coil wire goes to the on, or power position, so the module lights up when the power
is turned on. This would be Accessories?

As I dont have a start button, would I just wire the coil to the ACC, or to the relay which then goes to the Ignition post?

Also, the diagram shows the starter grounded through the relay. As my starter ground runs to battery neg, do I still run a ground for the relay?

Your help on this is appreciated. There does not seem to be anyone around here ( my town )that knows what-is-what. One guy even told me I dont need the relay, and just wire the green wire from the starter directlt to the ignition. But this does not supply enough power to the starter. I ordered the ignition booster relay from JP Cycle, to install, which would be the relay shown on the diagram?
Thanks for any help.
neverdown

This one?
Wiring Diagrams - Harley Davidson Community

Wiringdiag.jpg

Last edited:
On the diagram, it shows a starter button, which I don't have...I have an off-on-start key ignition.
Ignition switches usually have an ON,OFF,RUN and sometimes ACCESSORIES positions, you would probably wire up to the ON terminal in your case.

On the diagram, it shows the coil wire going to the start button, then to the relay which goes to the ignition, or "start". My Crane instructions say the coil wire goes to the on, or power position, so the module lights up when the power
is turned on. This would be Accessories?
That would be the RUN or POWER ON terminal

As I dont have a start button, would I just wire the coil to the ACC, or to the relay which then goes to the Ignition post?
Again the coil would go to the RUN terminal of the switch assuming you use the key to start the bike. Check to see if the power terminal stays HOT when you crank the bike or a relay may be needed here.

Also, the diagram shows the starter grounded through the relay. As my starter ground runs to battery neg, do I still run a ground for the relay?
The starter is self grounding through the case, the relay usually is an IN/OUT and not needing to be grounded ,also usually a plastic case too. The way it is wired in that diagram (terminal #85) is the ground for the circuit to operate the relay and not a ground for the relay itself.

Your help on this is appreciated. There does not seem to be anyone around here ( my town )that knows what-is-what. One guy even told me I dont need the relay, and just wire the green wire from the starter directlt to the ignition. But this does not supply enough power to the starter. I ordered the ignition booster relay from JP Cycle, to install, which would be the relay shown on the diagram?
Thanks for any help.
neverdown

Hope this simplifies it for you.:D

Back