free website stats program Base Gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Base Gaskets

Thinking about doing heads the season. The reason is when the motor was rebuilt, due to wrist pin clips, the heads don't match the pistons. When I pull the heads I'm thinking the base gaskets should be replaced. Is there a problem with simply pulling the cylinders, replacing the gaskets and reinstalling the cylinders?

If you're talking about your '03 Heritage then yes you will have to replace the base gaskets.
When you remove your heads you loosen/ruin the base gasket. Not a good idea to re-use. As far as the cylinders go, if low mileage, just run a ball hone in them to break the glaze. New rings would again depends on mileage.
One question though, what did you mean by; "due to wrist pin clips, the heads don't match the pistons" Didn't quite under stand that.
tourbox

I have removed heads several times without replacing the base o-ring. Usually, the heads will separate from the cylinders easily and, if removed carefully, you will not disturb the cylinder base o-ring. Once the heads have been remove, you can secure the cylinders so they can't be moved from an inadvertent elbow with some 1/2" PVC couplings. When you are ready to reinstall the heads, remove the couplings, carefully place the head gasket and heads and torque to spec. :hii

Also curious about "heads don't match the pistons". I assume that the rebuild was necessary because a wrist clip was left out or came out after assembly. :shock

You are once again correct Dolt. I didn't notice it was a Twinkie. They do have O-Rings instead of gaskets. My bad.
tourbox

I've done my heads without base o-ring as well. Just dont move the crank while the heads are off.

I've done my heads without base o-ring as well. Just dont move the crank while the heads are off.

If you secure the heads as shown, you can move the crank. So, say you were installing new heads and cams; no worries. Just secure the heads with the PVC couplings and go to work on the cam chest.:hii

Tourbox, the motor was first built with SE parts, a wrist pin clip went, tattered the cylinder. Axtell components with flat top pistons were installed. The htcc pro heads use a domed piston if I remember correctly. I've contacted Axtell.....waiting to hear from them.

Back