free website stats program Base Gasket Leaking 1997 EVO | Harley Davidson Forums

Base Gasket Leaking 1997 EVO

thessel

Hello all, I have read some posts on the base gasket issue on the older EVO motors and just wanted to get some more information from all of you. I have a 1997 Road King with 44k miles on it and the front cylinder is starting to leak oil around the base (assuming this is where the base gasket is). Its not extreme at the moment, but after about 300 miles you start to see the black on the motor wet, then maybe after another 300 miles you see more, etc... I plan on having my local dealer take care of this next year but wanted to make sure when I have them do it, what else to ask them to look at or take care of? Also, any idea on the hours involved in this repair? and can it all be done without puling the motor? Thanks again, guess I will just have to ride the 03 Deuce instead if I don't want any leaks :)

They should replace the rocker gaskets when pulling the jugs so that will take care of another weak link. Other than that, the necessary gaskets and pushrod seals are a given. Have them do both cylinders while they are in there. The motor doesn't have to come out to do it.

Hello all, I have read some posts on the base gasket issue on the older EVO motors and just wanted to get some more information from all of you. I have a 1997 Road King with 44k miles on it and the front cylinder is starting to leak oil around the base (assuming this is where the base gasket is). Its not extreme at the moment, but after about 300 miles you start to see the black on the motor wet, then maybe after another 300 miles you see more, etc... I plan on having my local dealer take care of this next year but wanted to make sure when I have them do it, what else to ask them to look at or take care of? Also, any idea on the hours involved in this repair? and can it all be done without puling the motor? Thanks again, guess I will just have to ride the 03 Deuce instead if I don't want any leaks :)

I have a '91 Dyna, and didn't make it as far as you have before my rear cylinder started leaking around the base gasket. Ran about 10k miles before the wallowing allowed enough play for the head gasket to blow. Then I HAD to fix it.

Depending on your finances, I would suggest a top end rebuild. If you can handle the cash flow, you will be ahead by having them do the valves, hone the cylinders and replace the rings. You will have to go through a gentle break in when you get it back, but your bike should be good to go for a while after that. This is not hard stuff, and if you want to save some money and have the time and ability, you can do the dissassembly yourself and just carry the parts over to the dealer to have them do the valve job and hone the cyclinders. This requires more equipment and tools than it is worth getting if you are only doing your bike. When you get that stuff back, just follow the book (factory service manual for YOUR bike) on reassembly.

The biggest problem with EVOs is that rider SHOULD warm up the engine BEFORE charging off. My rule of thumb is warming up until the valve cover starts to feel warm to the touch. Usually about 3-5 minutes at idle, with NO goosing the throttle. If more folks did this consistently, there would be fewer base gaskets go.

TQ

The biggest problem with EVOs is that rider SHOULD warm up the engine BEFORE charging off. My rule of thumb is warming up until the valve cover starts to feel warm to the touch. Usually about 3-5 minutes at idle, with NO goosing the throttle. If more folks did this consistently, there would be fewer base gaskets go.

TQ

Excellent advice but unfortunately not too many adhere to it.

Thanks TQuentin1. Unfortunately I cannot speak to what the previous owner did to this bike. I do tend to let it warm for a couple minutes before heading out. I even warm my EVO2 on the deuce before taking off. Its kinda what I have always done regardless of the bike. I am going to start talking to local dealer to see what costs for all this and get a budget going. I plan on getting at least 100k out of this motor if possible.

Thanks Glide, I am going to give em a call tomorrow to get some budget numbers going and have it done when I check the bike in for winter storage. I would like to get a good 100k miles out of this motor so will have them do what is necessary when they have all that apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back