free website stats program Bank Angle Sensor bypass bike cut off wont start now | Harley Davidson Forums

Bank Angle Sensor bypass bike cut off wont start now

garym

Brought a 2000 harley sportster 883. They bypassed the (BAS) SO THE GN/WH wire was twisted to a black wire and the gray wire was just taped up. The bike started up took around the corner and it just turned off. It will not turn over. Have spark and fuel and the batter is great.

I wonder why it was bypassed in the first place? I don't understand why someone would eliminate it at all as it's a safety feature. First thing I'd do is trace the wires and reconnect them to where they should be.

Reconnecting them may solve your issue or it may not have anything to do with why it won't start.
By reconnecting them you can possibly eliminate that as your source.

I'm not familiar with a sportster but have you checked for any codes?

Last edited:
1.) You say will not turn over. Does that mean no crank? How has it been decided that there is fuel and spark. Or crank and no start.
2.) Does speedo at odometer say TILT?
As Jeff said it make no sense to jump sensor. Wonder what the reason was to do that.
Reconnecting cut harness is first step.

1.) You say will not turn over. Does that mean no crank? How has it been decided that there is fuel and spark. Or crank and no start.
2.) Does speedo at odometer say TILT?
As Jeff said it make no sense to jump sensor. Wonder what the reason was to do that.
Reconnecting cut harness is first step.
Actually, it may have been bypasses because of an issue or a perceived issue. More details please.

I did reconnect it but same issue.. It starts every couple days but after about 100 feet it die and won't turn over.

Check and clean the kill switch on the handlebar.

I did reconnect it but same issue.. It starts every couple days but after about 100 feet it die and won't turn over.
Start with the kill switch as Bodeen suggested. You say the battery is great, how do you know that? have you load tested it? Have you checked to make sure all battery connection are clean and tight (on the starter too)
Not clear on what you mean by it will start every couple days? You say it won't turn over after it dies, what does it do? any sounds, clicking etc?

Like Jeff said, start @ the source pull that battery and load test it, take note of how lose the connections are and clean all corrosion report back

Won't turn over? Does that mean cranks motor turns over but no start, or the starter will not engage?

Back