free website stats program balancer guide meltdown | Harley Davidson Forums

balancer guide meltdown

twincam ken

hello everyone, I recently installed a 103 stroker flywheel in my 06 fatboy, everything went together real nice, the problem is, coming back from a 30 mile run, I was getting off the interstate let off the throttle and the engine felt like it wanted to seize up. I pulled over and at idel the oil pressure was normal. the next day I fired it up and only had 15 psi oil pressure on a cold engine, so I pulled the oil pump off and the oil passage in the block was packed with plastic melted shavings.(EDIT) Took the engine apart and found the counterbalance chain guides melted, it looks like there was to much oil pressure on the hyd piston tenisors, I caught it before the chain got into the aluminum housing. has anyone ever herd of this or know the cause, im thinking it might be the oil by-pass in the cam plate, and its a feuling plate, please help.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you just install a new cam plate?
Isn't there an oil passage on the plate that needs to be opened for the B motors and closed off for the standard/non-softail motors..??
I know you said too much oil to the tensioners, just shootin darts here :)

hello everyone, I recently installed a 103 stroker flywheel in my 06 fatboy, everything went together real nice, the problem is, coming back from a 30 mile run, I was getting off the interstate let off the throttle and the engine felt like it wanted to seize up. I pulled over and at idel the oil pressure was normal. the next day I fired it up and only had 15 psi oil pressure on a cold engine, so I pulled the oil pump off and the oil passage in the block was packed with plastic melted shavings. Took the engine apart and found the counterbalance chain guides melted, it looks like there was to much oil pressure on the hyd piston tenisors, I caught it before the chain got into the aluminum housing. has anyone ever herd of this or know the cause, im thinking it might be the oil by-pass in the cam plate, and its a feuling plate, please help.

OK, let's see if I understand so far. You installed the Fueling cam plate back in 2007 and have had no issues since? However, you recently installed a 103 stroker crank, no install issues but in the FIRST 30 miles you lost oil pressure. You tore down the motor and found the counterbalance chain guides had "melted" as evidenced by plastic melted shavings blocking an oil passage.

Just a couple of questions.

Which oil passage is blocked? The passage at the dowel where the screen and o-ring are located, or the lower crankcase passage that flows oil to the chain guide?

What makes you think high oil pressure caused the damage? I am thinking just the opposite.

In my experience, I would be looking at the re-assembly process since there had been no previous issues with the cam plate but that's just me.:coffee

the oil passage that was blocked is the one that the oil pump goes into, where the sub seal is. and yes I think it was from to much oil psi, the hyd piston tensioners pushed so hard against the guides that the chain melted them. even the little cap on top of the hyd pistons were melted. the reason I put the stroker in was that the stock flywheel shifted on the crank pin, so I bought a brand new SE and had revolution performance balance, weld and plug the new one.

the oil passage that was blocked is the one that the oil pump goes into, where the sub seal is. and yes I think it was from to much oil psi, the hyd piston tensioners pushed so hard against the guides that the chain melted them. even the little cap on top of the hyd pistons were melted. the reason I put the stroker in was that the stock flywheel shifted on the crank pin, so I bought a brand new SE and had revolution performance balance, weld and plug the new one.

I am not buying oil pressure can get high enough to overcome the tension on balancer guide tensioners; sorry, just doesn't add up. Particularly since you have been running that cam plate for years with no issues. I am still thinking something in the assembly process was not right. In any event, I hope you get it sorted out.

Twincam Ken, Did you figure out what happened. I have a similar issue with an 06 Softail motor upgraded.

Back