free website stats program Baker Compensator Solution for Late Models | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker Compensator Solution for Late Models

dolt

Baker is starting to ship their version of a compensator for the later models based on the early model compensator design which the MoCo should never have deviated from. Apparently Baker has shipped the first eight, not sure when more will be available but worth looking into for those having compensator issues. Don't know price point but rumors say $200 ish.

Don't know why it took so long to develop a compensator based on the tried and true early ramp design. Had I the know how and funds, I would have done it myself. All the other solutions, like the Compensaver and the solution Hoban Brothers (AKA Darkhors) is working on are based on a design that has organic issues. Burt Baker has taken a different approach and come up with a solution based on a design that proved bullet proof from '99-'07. Check it out.

Trying not to, but that news has me fairly excited, along with the rumored price point... Let's cross the ole fingers. There will be a LONG line of customers and back orders for these things if they hold up. Any idea if there is a website or more info on these things?

Trying not to, but that news has me fairly excited, along with the rumored price point... Let's cross the ole fingers. There will be a LONG line of customers and back orders for these things if they hold up. Any idea if there is a website or more info on these things?

No additional information; I believe this first release is of pre-production units. I just saw a post on HTT from a member that had snagged one for his new S&S 124" motor. Nothing on Baker's web site yet but there is a live chat feature and maybe some information to be gleened there if the employees are allowed to discuss production, cost, etc. Gotta believe the if Baker is making it; it is good hardware.:D

I will be keeping my ear to the ground.:s Don't know why, both my bikes are "old"; why should I care?:small3d002:

Don't know why, both my bikes are "old"; why should I care?:small3d002:

Ha. You're just spreading the happiness my friend...

I just saw a post by "Mark" at Baker who mentioned a price of around $300, but he wasn't sure yet. This was about a month ago, so the $200 you saw may be more recent/ better info. Sounds like they took their time with testing too, which is a good sign.

Found the pic of the new compensator in the pre-production box which shows a picture on the front (I'm assuming the same one Dolt alluded to). From what I gather, if you have a 2007 or 2008 touring, you will need to also purchase the 2009 and up rotor which I believe is around 100 bucks; because the spring cup is on the reverse side as stock. Then, assuming the compensator itself is 200 to 300 dollars each, this should be nearly identical in cost as going with an SE compensator, except, perhaps this one will work for the long haul and you don't have to superglue little plastic parts to your primary cover.. They apparently have packaging and instructions completed, and as Dolt said, they've sent out 8 real-world sets (forum members) to be beta tested aside from their in-house testing which is done. They claim to have had NO testing issues.

Thanks for the info Dolt! Baker wasn't even on my radar for having a comp contender in the mix. The line may be long to get one, but this should only allow more time to get feedback from the first buyers. My '08 stock comp is messing up, but only intermittently so far so I can wait a little while longer.

If anyone hears more, please add to Dolt's thread. This is a good one to watch.

Attachments

• baker pre production compensator.jpg
    baker pre production compensator.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 57
Good info Dolt. Harley might just copy Baker's design in a couple of years. :D

Pretty sure Burt Baker has taken all legal steps to prevent the MoCo from pirating his design. I suppose the MoCo could come up with a "copy" but it would not be the same and probably cost more. I can't understand what the MoCo was thinking when they departed from the early proven design for the hit or miss piece of junk we have seen since '07.

Back