free website stats program Baker 7 speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker 7 speed

I noticed that quite a few have looked at this post with no replys. My thought is, if I am reading the info put out by Baker, you will need to have a motor making some serious HP & torque.

Anyone used a Baker 7 speed yet in 2008 Streetglide?

I have and LOVE it. I had it put in my '08 SG at 43.000 miles and now have over 64,000 with NO issues. I also had installed the SE compensator sprocket at the same time as the Baker DD7. I have no primary chain backlash and feel I had upgraded the motor. The 1st gear is the bomb when starting out and going through parking structures. (no riding the clutch) No 5th gear whine. Use it with Spectro Platinum 75/140 and you'll never look back. Baker is really good about answering any questions and very tech supportive. Let us know what you decide.

Your killing me. Wish I had the $$ to get one. It's one of those win/win upgrades. When & if my gearbox ever dies, that's the way I'm going.

Hey brother, thought you might chime in. :D You were all over this when I went through my main shaft bearing failures at 30,000 miles and then again at 43,000miles. Man, I'm diggin' it. 21,000+ miles since and NO issues.

As far as the bread ($), Mz Bling and I didn't have kids. No college funds, weddings, etc. Just keepin' her in Bling and me keepin' the Shiny Side Up.:s

It's always great hearing from ya'. Mz Bling says Hi.

Always good to hear from you & Mz Bling also!

Decades and decades ago my Snap-On tool man gave me a key chain that had a saying on it that I still remember today.
"We would rather explain the price of Quality than apologize for something less"

That's just the way it is when it comes to Baker products.

I have and LOVE it. I had it put in my '08 SG at 43.000 miles and now have over 64,000 with NO issues. I also had installed the SE compensator sprocket at the same time as the Baker DD7. I have no primary chain backlash and feel I had upgraded the motor. The 1st gear is the bomb when starting out and going through parking structures. (no riding the clutch) No 5th gear whine. Use it with Spectro Platinum 75/140 and you'll never look back. Baker is really good about answering any questions and very tech supportive. Let us know what you decide.

:s Craig, I remember a ways back when I mentioned the Baker 7 speed, Smitty replied it dont need it and Bubbie said your killing me with all this shifting. I am glad to hear a positive report on a Quality product, and MZ Bling ROCKS:s

:s Craig, I remember a ways back when I mentioned the Baker 7 speed, Smitty replied it dont need it and Bubbie said your killing me with all this shifting. I am glad to hear a positive report on a Quality product, and MZ Bling ROCKS:s

I do remember you turning me on to the DD7 and the neh's about it, but I haven't looked back since. A+ on my chart. Thanks again bro. As far as Mz Bling, you GOT IT!:D

Craig, I have a question regarding the DD7 that I hope you would answer. Here is a copy and paste off the Baker web site.

......."We did not stop at just fixing the gear ratios. We improved the smoothness and crispness of the shifting by reducing the mainshaft mass by only having 1st gear be a part of the shaft, rather than 1st-4th gears like on the stock unit. Reduction in rotating mass for shift quality is a fact that has been utilized in the automotive world for years. We ditched the stock detent arm and spring assembly from the door in favor of a Linear Detent that decreased friction while increasing smoothness when coupled with the all new shift drum design. We have tightened up the dog teeth on the gears to prevent the loud clacking noise that accompanies every shift on the factory 6 speed. Through the use of a billet bearing door, 28% wider bearings in the door, steel bearing retainer plates and full width gears, the durability and strength of our unit is a drastic improvement. By utilizing fully diamond ground, helical gears in 1st & 4th-7th we are able to deliver a much quieter riding experience. While 2nd and 3rd gears are diamond ground, spur gears to handle the peak torque that is reached in that range".........

I highlighted my question. Is it true that this gearbox does not clank when you shift.
What does it sound like when you shift gears?

Thanks!

Back