free website stats program Baisley oil spring twin cam | Harley Davidson Forums

Baisley oil spring twin cam

The4opps1

Hello all....Has anyone replaced their twin cam oil pressure spring with the Baisley spring? From what I can tell from this forum and from my shop manual, the srping is held in place by a roll pin. Is this a matter of just removing the cam cover, or do you have to remove the cam support plate to replace ths sring? How about the primary cam tensioner? Easy to replace?

Thanks in advance......

Hello all....Has anyone replaced their twin cam oil pressure spring with the Baisley spring? From what I can tell from this forum and from my shop manual, the srping is held in place by a roll pin. Is this a matter of just removing the cam cover, or do you have to remove the cam support plate to replace ths sring? How about the primary cam tensioner? Easy to replace?

Thanks in advance......

THE INFORMATION I WROTE BELOW DO NOT APPLY TO THE '07! IT IS FOR OLDER STYLE SPRING LOADED TENSIONERS. SORRY, MY BAD!!

Easy to do. You DO NOT need to remove the cam support plate, but you do need to take the tension off the outer chain, remove the gears, unload and remove the tensioner. The reason is the the tail of the tensioner is also in the port that the slider (plunger) is in. The Baisley spring will come with instructions. I put in the #2 since my bike is pretty stock. See here:

Baisley Hi-Performance Oil Spring Product

While you are in there, plan to replace the tensioner. Then get a little cheap dental mirror and get an eye on the rear tensioner and decide if you gotta get to that one too. That DOES require removing the support plate!! Get the book (HD Factory Service Manual for your model and year!).

TQ

Last edited:
so how much will the spring raise oil pressure ... i plan on checking my crankshaft run-out the winter (07-96)and might as well change the spring while im in there ,my pressure right now is as follows 12-14 hot idle and 34-38 at cruising speeds
keith

so how much will the spring raise oil pressure ... i plan on checking my crankshaft run-out the winter (07-96)and might as well change the spring while im in there ,my pressure right now is as follows 12-14 hot idle and 34-38 at cruising speeds
keith

I just looked at your bike, and the '07 has the hydraulic tensioners on the chain rather than the spring loaded older style ones. So all that info above is not applicable. Sorry, my bad!! I think you can replace the tensioner shoes on your bike much more simply than the older style without having to remove the chain. I have not worked on an '07 or more recent, so I am going on the info available about it rather than hands-on experience.

Those are very good numbers already (Twin Cam Oil Pressure - Harley Davidson Community). What oil are you using? If you are using a premium quality synthetic in 20W50, I would say you do not NEED to change your spring just to do it. The Baisley should raise the pressure about 10-15% for the #2, and about 30% for the #4.

TQ

Last edited:
TQ these are the same numbers that I have on my 2000 after I did the roller chain hydralic tensioner convertion. If you decide to do the baisley spring it is no big deal because the tensioners are not in the way. They are only held in place with 2 screws. When I did the swap I asked Herk and he recommended to just keep the stock spring in place.

I just looked at your bike, and the '07 has the hydraulic tensioners on the chain rather than the spring loaded older style ones. So all that info above is not applicable. Sorry, my bad!! I think you can replace the tensioner shoes on your bike much more simply than the older style without having to remove the chain. I have not worked on an '07 or more recent, so I am going on the info available about it rather than hands-on experience.

Those are very good numbers already (Twin Cam Oil Pressure - Harley Davidson Community). What oil are you using? If you are using a premium quality synthetic in 20W50, I would say you do not NEED to change your spring just to do it. The Baisley should raise the pressure about 10-15% for the #2, and about 30% for the #4.

TQ
Im useing anything mobil one either v-twin or the 15w-50

Im useing anything mobil one either v-twin or the 15w-50

Suggest sticking with the VTwin due to higher engine heat on the air cooled engine.

See Kemo's post above. Like I said, your pressures are very acceptable now. Depending on miles on the bike, you may want to delay popping off the nose cone. I think HD is recommending inspection of the new style shoes every 30k miles, but check your Owner's Manual and see if it specifies that.

TQ

It's a lot easier to install the Baisley spring with the cam plate out of the bike, but it can be done with it in the bike.

You just push the roll pin out, take out the old spring, install the new spring, and put the roll pin back in.

I've been using Mobil 1 15w-50 for the past 20k miles..........no problems at all here.

Steve

I wouldn't take the cam plate out to change the o/p spring. That is an expensive way to do it. That would mean cutting the pushrods or taking the rocker box covers and rocker boxes out. Much easier to just take the cam cover off and drive the pin out. If you decide to check the plunger and clean the oil port then you have to take the outter tensioner off. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ken

Back