free website stats program Baffles - is removal bad for the motor | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffles - is removal bad for the motor

mder123

Banned
Ok I have a 2004 super glide carberator with screaming eagle after market exhaust. I removed the baffles.... Sounds awesome, but I was told its bad for the motor, a "back pressure" issue........ Is this true?

Plus, you're robbing performance from the motor so best to run w/baffles, or find louder exhaust to suit your "auduble" taste.

YES
Removing baffles reduces Needed back pressure on the motor.... You can compensate for the loss by putting in stainless "reversion cones" into the head pipes and Also you will need to Richen the fuel mixture a bit.

I out grew the need for Wrongly Modified LOUD exhaust and just go with the exhaust that Performs good.. You can get LOUD and still have the proper tune... It just cost $$$..

I have use the "cones" and it helped.... I also had them in a 2000 TC and ended up removing them and just installing Python 3's then re-jetting the carb back for a great performing bike.

signed....BUBBIE

I tried puching out muflers, removing baffles, making baffles etc without producing the sound and performance I wanted. An exhaust may just look like a glorified piece of chromed pipe but there is a whole lot of technology in the design. I did get an education and some respect though but in the end I purchased a new 2 into 1 system - Bob

Check out Big City Thunder. They have all types of baffles that will give you the desired sound as well as the needed back pressure.

Not a good idea and the sound to you might be OK but its running too lean:s

an exhaust doesnt need any back pressure, backpressure is the enemy of a working exhaust. it doesnt need back pressure to make torque, it doesnt need back pressure for good bottom end power what an exhaust needs is the right sized headers.

I am sorry but you are not correct.
A wide open exhaust works at wide open topend in a proper tuned engine on the drag strip any other time is robbing power and slowly and in some case quickly causing damage.
You statement about headers is not all wrong if designed correctly they can alter flow to act as a baffle if that is term you want to use.
A proper running bike needs a proper tuned exhaust not a wide open pipe

if you insist an exhaust needs back pressure read this, RB Racing LSR 2-1 Exhaust Technology rb make some of the best "street pipes" (as well as drag pipes) around but i guess they dont know much. ive built pipes for motorcross bikes, harleys, and worked with car exhausts aswell and an exhaust DOES NOT need back pressure, low pressure=high flow, correct header diameter and length with, not back pressure but, vacuum will work safely on any engine. the exhaust just has to be somewhere close to matching the engine.

what i have come to understand Chevy's need b/p, fords don't, Now i know these ain;t Harley's maybe it the way the head is designed..

the difference there is they use different firing orders where chevs work better with a balanced exhaust, and fords will work well unbalanced, the balanced exhaust will help scavenge with the firing order between left and right banks.

Back