free website stats program Baffled | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffled

Recently came out of work to a dead battery. Picked up a new one (drag) charged it up, checked the amps, hooked up the cables and started it up. Came back 2 days later to what seems to be a dead battery. Checked the cables, recharged on the trickle charger and nothing but click...click every time I hit the start button. I repeated this several times and tried to start it immediately after charging and nothing. So is just a bad battery that won't hold a charge or is there something else going on here draining the juice out and preventing it from turning over? Thanks.

Check the cables at both ends. If the ground wire is loose it will cause a good battery to appear bad. If you have a volt meter hold it directly on the battery posts. If the voltage stays good while trying to start, it is a cable or connection problem. If voltage drops, it is a bad battery.

I agree with load testing the battery. I've seen brand new batteries off the shelve that were bad.

Thanks, should have the test done tomorrow. But if that checks out ok then what, voltage regulator, fuses, bare wire.

TRICKLE Charger WON'T Charge a Dead Battery or Too Low of one...

You need to put Battery on No Less than 2 amp charger until FULLY Charged
(4 to 8 hours)

THEN keep it on the TRICKLE Charger.:s

BET that New Battery Never saw a full charge after being LOW...

signed ....BUBBIE

Do as BUBBIE said, charge with a battery charger not a tender. If it was fully charged as you stated and went dead after setting for 2 days My moneys on a bad battery or you have a drain somewhere that's killing the battery.

Back