free website stats program Bad wheel 2011 Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad wheel 2011 Heritage

Charlies Harley

The wifes bike is a 2011 heritage we bought in June this year, just turned 5048 km. We were riding this last Saterday and she complaned of a wobble that felt like in the front tire, I test drove it and ya she was right at 100 km per hr on deceleration felt like the bike would kick to the right. The dealer is 300km south from where we were and home is 400 km north. With no chance of making the dealer before closing and closed Sunday Monday we checked tires, steering,brakes even lifted the front in the air and found nothing so Sunday morning homeward bound. The ferther I drove it the worse it got of course, by the time we got home it was most definatly in the backend, lifted the bike on the hoist were I could get a good look at it and all the spokes in the rear wheel are loose, the wheel moves side to side 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Dealer ship did the 1000km service and check spokes is on it? My wife is not a hard rider so it sure isnt abuse that caused it so how would this happen and has anyone else had this? Hope warrenty covers the wheels. Thinking I should demand a new wheel not just relace this one, whats your thoughts?

With that much play in the wheel and the fact that you rode it a distance, I would press for a replacement wheel based on the possibility of damage to spokes/spoke nipples and or wheel rim where the spokes are secured and especially that the bike is only 3 months old.

They should at least check the spokes on a service IMO even if not a major service.

The way it was riding we kind of knew riding it wasnt the first choice of options, plan on pleading ignorance, (I dont know it sure doesnt feel right)

Ya Charlie, I seen that wheel dancing, god am I glad we made it up island without any road rash... Could be more expensive cuz I heard her make your pipes bark at least 5 times, have to admit your bike does sound nice...

It turns out that spokes are not a warrenty item because they are a service item, but that holds the dealership that did the service responsable. It is a bit of a catch 22 game but I think we are on top, satisfaction is just around the corner.

i would think the dealr would replace the wheels because of the safety issue.
and the liability would reflect back on them
lets hope so.

My 200 road king did the same thing three different times finaly went to a rear mag wheel, found out that the spokes were aluminum would have liked to seen the spockes on a strain guadge Russ

Well, no new wheel just going to take the wobble out, I looked the hub and wheel over good and could see no signs of worn holes or spokes. Due to our location a jobber is doing the job and billing the dealer so he is on top of checking it over, he has no gain to go cheep on it.

I purchased a Fasst spoke wrench that is designed for motorcycle wheels. It makes adjusting the tension, which is 55 inch lbs easy. I check them every oil change and feel confident that I am as safe as I can be.
I used to build bicycle wheels for the USA Olympic Team and used a spoke wrench on these wheels also. Some will say you don't need to use a torque wrench but those are the ones by the side of the road with problems.

Back