free website stats program Bad Weekend | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Weekend

garlab1

After riding this weekend, I decided to wash the bike down. I noticed oil behind the rear cylinder head, upon further inspection it appears my head gasket is leaking. I'm really surprised since I only have 18k miles on it, I bought it new and have always taken care of of it, worst part is my extended warranty expired a couple months back.

I wanted to see if anyone out there knows what it should cost to replace the head gasket, I was also thinking of a stage 1 since they will have half the motor apart.

It's been really hot here in Florida, is it possible the engine was running too hot and caused this.

Thanks in advance for the comments

Looking at the big bore kit, haven't told the wife what it would cost yet, I might be able to get away with it.

Hmmm. That would be a bit more than a top-end job! Valve jobs, hone cylinders, rings, top-end gasket set. You can do all this with the engine on the bike. Just get the tank out of the way. With that, it should be good for 50-100k.

TQ

Hmmm. That would be a bit more than a top-end job! Valve jobs, hone cylinders, rings, top-end gasket set. You can do all this with the engine on the bike. Just get the tank out of the way. With that, it should be good for 50-100k.

TQ

Got a price from harley today on the big bore kit, they want $800.00 for the kit and $400.00 for labor, I really don't trust Ft lauderdale harley, had too many problems with them, my buddy is at 3 grand and 7 weeks with his bike, he has to take it back again because it's not running right, I have to check with a couple local independant guys I heard were real good.

I wanted to see if anyone out there knows what it should cost to replace the head gasket, I was also thinking of a stage 1 since they will have half the motor apart.

Stage I has nothing to do with taking the motor apart. Less restrictive air cleaner, slip ons, and the fuel tuner of your choice and you're done.

Stage I has nothing to do with taking the motor apart. Less restrictive air cleaner, slip ons, and the fuel tuner of your choice and you're done.

my mistake, I was calling all over today to try finding someone to take the bike to, most place around here are closed on Monday

Make sure who ever does the work checks or better yet replace the cylinder studs, you dont want a leak again:s

Back