free website stats program Bad Regulator/Bike Won't Start | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Regulator/Bike Won't Start

BBQFever

Hey all,

I am new here, I have done searches for my particular issue and could not find anything, that being said, I know I have a bad regulator. Could this keep the bike from starting? The bike turns over but wont fire.

I was riding down the road at about 25 mph when I smelled what I believe to be an electrical type fire and the bike went completely dead.... After a few minutes power came back and I was able to turn the bike over but it would not start. Could I have fried something, I know the regulator is bad what else should I look for that could be bad? The coil is good.

1990 Softail Custom

I have followed all the tests minus the load test which I will do today!

Thanks,
Joe

BBQFever - I moved your post out of the Self Help Section and into a thread of its own to try and get more responses. Good luck with your problem and welcome to the forum!

First welcome to the forum and sorry about the problem. First open up the inspection plate on the primary case and see if the oil smells burnt. If it does you probably have a fried stator. Disconnect the voltage reg. plug from the case and check the stator output. The whole testing procedure is in the self help section. Check the wires around the battery to make sure they are clean and tight (both ends of the + & -) take the nose cone off and check the wire and the pickup.

Thanks, I will check the oil and the nose cone..... I did all the tests for the stator from the self help section and it checked out ok. I did not think to check the pickup. Also I don't have 12v at the coil could that be my ECM?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping that Hoople comes on soon as I am really at a loss when it come to electrical/electronic problems. Once you have checked for dead shorts and battery cables and to see if there are any burnt or discolored wires I have to go to the experts for the in depth checks.

Thanks, I will check the oil and the nose cone..... I did all the tests for the stator from the self help section and it checked out ok. I did not think to check the pickup. Also I don't have 12v at the coil could that be my ECM?

Thanks

What is the voltage at the coil? With the ignition on probe the wires coming out of the cone do you have power here?

Do you have the original ignition switch? You might look at the bottom to the switch to see if there are any burnt of broken wires.

I would guess it is the original, I just noticed that the taillight stopped working..... if I wiggle the switch the light flickers....

That is a mechanical switch and they do wear out. There is an electronic replacement but I have really had no problems replacing with the OEM. Take your pick, either will probably solve your problem.

Back