free website stats program Bad eng. performance | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad eng. performance

glimmerman

went out yesterday, trying to scuff up the new sneaks and break-in the brakes-277 miles. after running from about 8 til 3 off and on with stops, i got gas at 166 miles. shortly after the engine was serging on cruise control at about 65/6th gear. cut out for a second or 2 twice. pulled it out of cruise and ran by hand. dropped to 5th to get the r's up. smoothed out somewhat but still has an up and down idle 250 rpm up and down. was above 2200 rpm all day except for short time in traffic. QUES.- is this possibly varnish or something in the tank that is washing out? bike was down from oct til 2nd week of mar. for trans swap. i was gonna give it 2 tanks with injector cleaner before going to the dealer. gotta get this in shape before 22 jun. thanks, kevin. this cash cow will break me yet!

Sounds like it started after you filled up with gas, maybe you got a bad batch of gas. I had that happen to me once after I gassed up with some not so good gas. Try running some sea foam in the tank, that will help clean out your system and try a good grade of higher octane gas.

2 other guys also filled at the same time w/o problems. when i checked mileage at the pump it was 34 down from usual 44 when 2 up. this is gas from 2 weeks ago that i filled and drove home. tank was about 1/2 when i started the project. this is a problem when in float. motor pulls strong w/ no prob. i'll do the sea foam thing for 2 tanks. just wondering if this is how a TCA prob. starts. 18,500 showing.

had a something close to this happen once on a fuel injected engine. it would only happen above 60 and i had to tell the mech to take it out on highway to reproduce problem. it ended up being the fuel sending unit. would almost act like it was running out of gas. below about 55 it would run just fine. dont know if that is your problem but if you take it in at least have them check it.
patrick

I just have a question. Is it like a miss or stumble? The reason I ask is that I had a similar thing happen last year on my '10 FLHTCU while cruising I 5th or 6th but otherwise it idled and performed well. Hoople helped me out on this one and finally it was diagnosed to be an intake seal leak on the back cylinder. Try taking some non flammable brake cleaner and spray it around where intake meets each cylinder while its idling, if it stalls the bike, you have an intake leak.
Just trying to give you some help on this one.

thanks stroker. i replaced both sensors since the 154 is a code for bad rear. filled it up with another fresh gas and sea foam. ran like new, mileage up to 39+ on that tank of fuel. the problem was serging when crusing and a fluctuating idle. the sea foam sat for a couple days in the tank before i got to go out. gonna run a few more tanks and keep a can and measuring cup in the bag. almost like 2 different bikes.

Back