free website stats program Bad Cat | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Cat

Midnight Reign

OK so now I am going to display a bit of ignorance, Couple questions about the catalytic convervter on a 2012 SG. I hear about people removing the cats on these bikes and my question is 1. How is this done, is it a removable part or are people drilling or driving them out with punches etc. ? And 2. would simply removing the cat cause an issue requireing a remap or fueler?
My eventual plan is to install the Dobeck Gen 4, with a K&N filter and Rush slip ons. But I would really love to do something about the extreme heat in the mean time. As I'm not ready financially for the desired upgrades, I really dont want to take a new bike apart just to look.

You have to remove the header pipes and cut out the back of the pipe where it goes two into one then splits and tucks under. Remove the honeycomb and re-weld the pipe. Easier to just get some new aftermarket head pipes without cats but which have the O2 sensor ports and keep the stock one with the cats incase you ever have to put them on for any reason (Technically, removing the cat is tampering with the exhaust and is illegal) but if funds prevent it and you can weld well, go for it.

Saving the whole Stock Package is Smart to do....

The Best and easiest way IMO... Get an 09 exhaust OFF Ebay or ??? ,,, Make sure it is off an 09 model... Members mentioning there were "take-offs" and lot of them for sale...
The 02's are in the sweet (right) spot on the 09 year where they Need to be and NO cats .

Not a California Model though.

Calif. Had and Has Cats in all their year of bikes, from a long time back...

signed....BUBBIE

PS
THE Gen 4 IS Really CLOSE to perfected (BUGS GONE)..... I'll have the latest up-date Gen4 this week of so... I'll do a THREAD about it when I get it tried out...

If you remove the cats yourself, one thing that you need to remember if you get the Gen 4 is that you will need to drill a hole and weld in a bung for the O2 sensor on the front header. Not a big deal, but ya don't want to remove the cats and forget to do that either!

If you remove the cats yourself, one thing that you need to remember if you get the Gen 4 is that you will need to drill a hole and weld in a bung for the O2 sensor on the front header. Not a big deal, but ya don't want to remove the cats and forget to do that either!

I thought the CAT was down in heat exchange area so it wouldn't be near O2 sensor bungs...right??

Bubbie, great info on the '09 head pipes. My only other question would be will my pretty new heat shields off my 2012 fit the '09 pipes or will I need to get '09 specific heat shields ? Thanx for the replies guys......

Bubbie, great info on the '09 head pipes. My only other question would be will my pretty new heat shields off my 2012 fit the '09 pipes or will I need to get '09 specific heat shields ? Thanx for the replies guys......

Just My Thinking here :::::: the Same

I don't know of any changes in the TC Head pipes, they should be the same from 07 and up,,,, Same motors in size...

Usually you can get the heat shields With the purchase, USUALLY... Make sure though.

IF anybody knows for sure Reply please... The fitment book would tell.

signed....BUBBIE

The 'o7 & '08 may bolt to the motor OK but you may have to buy 1 or 2 brackets.They still have the Y pipe for the rear cylinder.In '09 they had the frame changes and went under the frame.
tourbox

I thought the CAT was down in heat exchange area so it wouldn't be near O2 sensor bungs...right??

On 2010 and newer, TC 96's, the cats are just behind the O2 sensors. These (2ea) are narrow band sensors. The Gen 4 uses a wide band sensor (1ea) and a bung needs to be installed in the forward header pipe to accomodate the sensor.

Back