free website stats program Bad Bearings? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Bearings?

Merlynn

Just read a disturbing article in a motorcycle magazine. In short, the article claims the wheel bearings for 09 and later touring bikes are subject to early failure. The bearings are outsourced to a South Korean firm. The bearings have an embeded code to work with ABS and therefore cannot be changed out for third party bearings, hence, the problem has no fix. I have an 09 Ultra with 25K and have not noticed this. The article claims failure around 18K or less.

Does anyone have any info to back up or shoot down this article? I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the author or his loyalty to The HD brand.
WAP.gif

Sorry to say, there have been a few posts on this forum about early bearing failures. A forum search should turn some of them up.

The magazine that you are reading is giving you false information!!! The bearing problems occur on HD models before 09, my 08 FLTR had the rear wheel bearings go out at 16,000 miles and the rear pulley bearings went out at 45,000 miles.

The magazine that you are reading is giving you false information!!! The bearing problems occur on HD models before 09, my 08 FLTR had the rear wheel bearings go out at 16,000 miles and the rear pulley bearings went out at 45,000 miles.

My 08 FLTR front @ 17k rear around 30. No ABS. Went with aftermarket brngs from VBX and had no brng problems till I traded.

Just for Information;

The "A" suffix from HD on their bearings came about FOR use in the 2012 Model Year Bikes...

Like I Joke,,,,

"A" means they put Grease into them.:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

Back