free website stats program Bad battery or voltage regulator or??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad battery or voltage regulator or???

2000HRTG

I have a 2000 heritage softail and it died on me so recharged the battery then rode it it died on me again i jumped started it then while riding it home my engine light was coming off and on along with my odometer the bike was staying on but my odometer and engine light was coming off and on both at the same time can it be a bad battery or a bad voltage regulator????

You need to check the voltage with the bike running , this will tell the storey ..under 13 is a sign of not charging , there is also some very good tips about this in self help... good luck

Test also your stator. Make a search in this forum and you will find how to do it. Stator & Regulator, what a pair of pieces of ...
WAP.gif

Stator & Regulator, what a pair of pieces of ...

There is nothing wrong with the design or quality of the stator or regulator. I would bet 75% of all regulators or stator failures are due to reasons outside of themselves. Unfortunately the stator will sacrifice itself to a bad regulator and a regulator will sacrifice itself for a bad battery.

12.75 fully charged battery, this is your starting point:s

Hoople, you are probably right. But if you look for stator replacements in this forum, you'll find some threads, even a poll. Some guys suggest that power wash of the bikes forces water to enter into some connections. Not my case, as these connectors were pretty dry. And a shade of doubt appears when the 2011 soft ail models offer a new, double-insulated, stator. Hummm ...
WAP.gif

Back