free website stats program Backfire Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfire Issues

cars5585

I have a 2000 Hugger 883. I bought it used 5 years ago with only 1000 miles at the time. I now have 3500 miles on it. It has sceaming eagle exhuast and carb kit that was installed before I bought the bike. The bike has always backfired since I have had it but it still ran strong with plenty of power. In the past month however the back firing has gotten worse and it will die randomly at any engine speed even going 60 on the highway. It seems to be worse the once the engine is hot. When it dies I have a hard time getting it started and when it finnally does start it will either back fire or blow a flame out of the exhaust. Then is could run fine for hours or it might die again in 10 seconds. I love riding this motorcycle but having a bike that dies on the highway and busy places leaving me stranded is not safe. I am not an expert but I have some mechanical aptitude and my intuition is telling me that it is a problem with the carb. Is this the correct path to start on? Does anyone have any solutions to what may be causing my problem?

When it backfires, Does it do it out the exhaust every time? If so, it sounds like its running rich. Whats your fuel mileage like? I would hesitate to guess that its probably the "kit" that was put in the carb. The "kits" usually end up causing more trouble than good. What jets are in it? I would start with removing the bowl on the carb and seeing what jets are in it and what the "kit" consisted of. Report back, lots of help here.

Welcome to the BEST ON THE NET.

Bodeen

When it backfires it is out of the intake. I have no idea what kind of jets are in the carb. I was told it had screaming eagle carb on it when I bought it. It worked at the time so I didnt really care. I am hesitant to take apart the carb because I wont really know what I am looking. I know the basic parts of the carb but just by looking at the jets I wont know if they are ok or not. I do feel capable enough to take the carb off and take it to someone who would know. I just was hoping to get advice if this is the right approach before I start taking anything apart. I get about 45 miles per gallon. I assume the mpg is ok based on what I have read on the internet.

Now if its backfiring through the intake, that would indicate a lean condition. Check for an intake leak around the manifold. Spray WD40 around intake gaskets while its running and see if the motor changes speed. That would indicate a bad intake gasket. Check vacuum hose for the petcock. Check you exhaust connections at the head for proper torque. Rule out an intake or exhaust leak and then move to the carb.

Bodeen

Back