free website stats program back to stock pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

back to stock pipes

Rapedape

Banned
O.K I have big radius pipes on my dyna(at least I think that's what they're called) I want to put the stock pipes back on this comming spring. I just like the look better. My ? is " I have a stage 1 set up on there now,if I go back to the stock pipes will I have issues with air flow"? Will the bike not run as efficient?

O.K I have big radius pipes on my dyna(at least I think that's what they're called) I want to put the stock pipes back on this comming spring. I just like the look better. My ? is " I have a stage 1 set up on there now,if I go back to the stock pipes will I have issues with air flow"? Will the bike not run as efficient?

So you have a high-flow breather on the bike as well as the pipes? And when you say "put the stock pipes on" do you mean just the pipes with whatever slip-ons you have, or are the cans and pipes one piece? If you are going back to the original pipes, but the cans are slip-ons, you could keep your new cans and put them on the original pipes. If the originals are one piece, then your probably gonna run a bit richer. Performance may be better if you just had the Dealership remap the control system when you did your Stage 1. That map would still have been lean, so going back to your orininal exhaust system may richen up the mixture and you will like it. Just have to try it. Not the same worry going back as going TO Stage 1 with respect to running lean.

TQ

I agree, you may find that the richer fuel from the stage 1 will be a good mix for the stockers being the stock download is lean to begin with. This is one question that still remains unanswered because nobody knows what enhancements are made in the downloads from the dealers. I understand they are somewhere around 3-5% in added fuel with the stage 1 download but haven't been able to verify that.

Maybe Fisher can shed some light here.

The pipes would be the ones that the bike came with meaning from the cylinder head to the tail pipe. I don't know if they are all one piece or not.

The pipes would be the ones that the bike came with meaning from the cylinder head to the tail pipe. I don't know if they are all one piece or not.

I mean that if there is no clamp in about the middle of the exhaust pipe/can assembly, then it is one piece. In this case, you can not put a different set of slip-on cans on the exhaust system unless you cut the old ones off (I would not do this though). Go ahead and put the old exhaust back on the bike if you like the look of it better and see how it runs. It is very likely that the OEM exhaust is more restrictive than the aftermarket options, and therefore you will not have as much flow through the engine. This will mean that the map you are running for the current system will be richer for a more restrictive setup. But that does not mean it won't be good since many of us feel the HD setup is too lean even with their remaps.

TQ

I mean that if there is no clamp in about the middle of the exhaust pipe/can assembly, then it is one piece. In this case, you can not put a different set of slip-on cans on the exhaust system unless you cut the old ones off (I would not do this though). Go ahead and put the old exhaust back on the bike if you like the look of it better and see how it runs. It is very likely that the OEM exhaust is more restrictive than the aftermarket options, and therefore you will not have as much flow through the engine. This will mean that the map you are running for the current system will be richer for a more restrictive setup. But that does not mean it won't be good since many of us feel the HD setup is too lean even with their remaps.

TQ

So I guess the worst that can happen is fouling up plugs?

You want to give those Big Radius Pipes away???...hehe...I'm planning on putting them on my Low Rider

So I guess the worst that can happen is fouling up plugs?

Might, but I am betting it runs great.

If you do find that the plugs are showing signs of too much fuel, then you can take it in, or think about some pipes and slip-ons with the same shape as the OEMs. Might take you back about where you are now. Then if you do that, you can get a TFI and tweak it like you want.

TQ

Rapedape -

I'm a little late here, but you might want to try what I did. Drill the baffle plug out of the stock mufflers with a hole saw. Very easy and quick. The stock muffler is then straight through, sounds much better, and obviously flows more. I did that with the SE air cleaner and stage 1 download and the bike runs great.

Back