free website stats program back rest | Harley Davidson Forums

back rest

kojax

i am thinking of getting the short back rest for my girl friend. do you think that will be tall enough i do not want anything to high and ugly lol.......how hard to put this thing on or should i let the dearler to it.....thank you very much. SO FAR THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN NICE TO ME..

i am thinking of getting the short back rest for my girl friend. do you think that will be tall enough i do not want anything to high and ugly lol.......how hard to put this thing on or should i let the dearler to it.....thank you very much. SO FAR THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN NICE TO ME..

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great info here on the Self-help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Make sure the backrest you get is for YOUR bike model and year. Usually, these are very easy to install.

TQ

Take your girlfriend to a dealership - there should be plenty of new and used bikes with a wide variety of backrests for her to try. Once you determine which height is right, get one specifically for your year bike and model. If you're halfway competent mechanically you should be able to do it yourself. I'm pretty pathetic with tools but I'm getting better and I actually did my detachable tour pack all by my lonesome!

+1 on taking her to the dealership. Mine came with the short (or "regular") backrest, and my wife found it very uncomfortable on a long ride. The top of the pad dug into her back. Your wife should try out as many versions of heights as she can.

I fashioned a taller bar and attached the pad; it was MUCH better. She used it on a 4 day trip and really liked it.

As to what will "look good", which is more important, the back rest looking good, or your wife being comfortable? (you don't really have to answer that...I'm just stirring the pot:D.

kojax ... Installation is a piece of cake. Just did it myself a couple weeks ago. I chose medium low, and I like the look of it, and my wife likes the feel of it. If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy!:s

In my case, I had a mid high sissy bar only and put on a removble slip on pad that worked out just fine...! In my avatar, you can see it before I put it on.

A lot of good advice from the other posters...try before you buy, trumps sight unseen on the Internet. Nothing beats bricks and mortar for finding personal hardware items that fit, regardless if you decide to support a local supplier, HD dealer or Internet retailer for the best price via OEM factory direct, Craigs list or E-bay.

Get the tall one, your girlfriend will be more comfortable and feel safer. Remember, they are detachable; so take it off when she isn't with you. Yes, you can put it on youself.

thank you people.i went to the harley dearler looking for the best rest they told me i would need a turn signal relocation kit the cost is 34.95 dose anybody know what this looks like.for the whole set up cost 356.75......

I had a mid backrest put on my FXDL when I purchased it. I have the removable bracket. The relocation kit (if I'm not mistaken) is just a spacer to move the taillights out enough for the bracket to fit. It doesn't change the look or physical location of the lights. I almost lost my wife off the back of my Sporty once. Trust me, your wife will love the backrest...:D

thank you people i am going with the short back rest i think it will look sporty on my 2009 blacl lowrider........i think the medium short is to big for the bike......my girl better like the back rest lol

Back