free website stats program back fire when letting off the throttle | Harley Davidson Forums

back fire when letting off the throttle

swat

I have a 01 road king with efi it has 77,000 miles stage 1 kit and samson exhaust, I get a back fire and quite the fire work show when i let off the throttle and down shift.

How long have you had the stage 1 and exhaust and did it do it before these were added. Low restriction mufflers will often pop on decel.

Un burned gas in the exhaust ignites from hot spots in the pipes, my fishtails did this til I made splitters and homemade baffles

Is it throwing a code? Could be the cam position sensor going bad. I think 2001 was the last year for using the cam position sensor. Have you changed the spark plugs to some other brand. I had Autolites in for a month once and on a trip it started back firing. Next morning I put in a old set of HD plugs and everything was fine after.
kemo

Not unusual with free flow air filter and exhaust on a EFI bike. My '06 super glide started doing it as soon as I made these changes. I was told it wasn't hurting anything. ?

Lots of good ideas here today. Don't forget to check your muffler clamps. Lots of folks develop a pop after putting mufflers back on bike. If clamps are incorrectly torqued or in the wrong position they will leak air which can lead to decel popping. Those $10.00 clamps have a way of stretching.

Lots of good ideas here today. Don't forget to check your muffler clamps. Lots of folks develop a pop after putting mufflers back on bike. If clamps are incorrectly torqued or in the wrong position they will leak air which can lead to decel popping. Those $10.00 clamps have a way of stretching.

Agree, Also gaskets at headers need to seal.

Decell backfire is normally a lean misfire. Either sucking air or the ECM needs to throw more fuel.

Back