free website stats program Back brake "sticking". 84 FXRSDG | Harley Davidson Forums

Back brake "sticking". 84 FXRSDG

pnew122

For some reason when I go to push it out of the garage after it has been sitting, it feels as though the back brake is on. Like the disc is stuck? And as I start to ride the 1st few 100 ft and hit the brake, it shifts gears. Very wierd. Once I ride it a few blocks, it straightens out.

It might be time to start pulling the calliper and give everything a good clean then coat all the moving parts in copper grease and that should stop the build up of corrosion around the brake system
however i would suspect that the calliper piston is sticking a wee bit and if i get that i tend to remove the calliper and pop the piston out and give the piston a good clean refit and re fill with new fluid and bleed the brake system
to remove the piston from the calliper you can remove the calliper but leave the brake pipe connected and pump brake till it pops out but this is a wee bit messy as brake fluid gets all over the place
i remove the calliper completely remove the bleeder and drain the fluid out of it put the bleeder back in put a thin piece of soft wood in the opposite side from the piston and put airline in the brake pipe hole and the air pressure will pop it out very fast if no soft wood to catch it then it may get damaged as it'll come out fast

Brian

You haven't by chance put in the wrong type of brake fluid via adding... type 5 where 4 should be ?? If you did that would cause this type of problem... the two fluids are not compatible... :(

Hi guys. No, I haven't added any fluid ever in 26 years. Had the service done on the biggies like 10,000 and 25,000. I'll have to check my manual but assume it's like a car disk braks no? Pop the fill cap, remove the caliper, use a c-clamp type to press it back out if need be, do all the work as you mention, and put it back? Still has me baffled with the brake changing gears. Weird huh?

Thanks
Paul

Did a quick read, and seems like it might be the push rod. Will check soon. Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Pnew122, problem with just pushing in the pistons into their bores means you drove all the dirt and debris caked up in the exposed piston area back into the bores which will cause the pistons to "stick" (clearance is on the order of 1/10,000th) which means that the slurry of brake dust, rust and dirt deposited in there.

I use ONLY clear filtered or distilled water into a bucket to clean every thing, disc rotor and caliper, then thread a cotton tenns shoe lace to clear the exposed piston bore.

Ok-Had a chance to pop the brakes off. Disk doesn't seem terrible compared to a car disk, especially with 28,000 miles. Pads have pits in them, and a few minor chunks off the edges. Copped a pair of front and back off Ebay for 29 bucks. I know, they might not be the best but were similar to every other pads listed. Sure won't hurt to put a fresh set on. I also adjusted the push rod assy. Will try the new pads. If that doesn't work, I'm up for th cleaning.

I was mistaken about it chenging gears while hitting the brake. It sounded exactly like that was what's happening. After a slow ride I realized when I hit the brake, the whole rear tire is mounted on a v/wishbone type bracket, with a single shaft bolt. When you hit the brake, this entire assy moves up and down. I really never noticed how this worked since I never had a problem. Now a I kn ow. It made a noise that sounded exactly like gears chaging. Live and learn.

Thanks everyone so far.

Paul

Update. After cleaning the cylinder that pushes the pad in and out, got my hands on the new pads. Asked the guy I knew who I got them from, what about sticking? he said something about putting grease on a bolt. Thought he meant the actual bolt that holds on the caliper. Little did I realize he meant the "sleeves" that the bolts threaded into. And those slide into a boot that I assume holds the spring. THAT"S what retracts when you let off the brake.

As soon as I pushed the lower one in, it stuck. So I pulled both sleeves, added some grease after cleaning, and put it all back. Seems to have helped big time, so we shall see after the grease had time to work in. The things ya learn. Thanks everyone for getting me through this one.

Paul

Back