free website stats program B engines | Harley Davidson Forums

B engines

Lesley

Is/has there beta problem with the b engines when you build them for more horse power? Some one was saying the balancer comes apart with catastrophic results.

Is/has there beta problem with the b engines when you build them for more horse power? Some one was saying the balancer comes apart with catastrophic results.

Baldersash! I have a 2005 FXSTD that has been run in two performance cnfigurations. the latest being a 98" motor that makes 115TQ/115HP. Granted, I don't have that many miles on the motor, less than 10K but there are no issues with the counterbalancer system. I might be hestiant to builld a high compression, high performance motor in a "B" motor with say 50K or more miles without checking the counter balancer system and probably tack welding the main sprocket on the crank that drives the system. When the counter balance system fails, that is usually the issue, that crank sprocket, which is a in interference fit to the crank, slips and throws the system out of balance; there is not doubt when this happens. The "B" motor is hard mounted to the frame and when the counter balance shystem goes out of balance, the bike will vibrated ans shake so bae, it will usuallhy be unrideable.

Nothing else is damaged in the motor or drive train, the bike just becomes very unpleasant to ride. The fix is splitting the cases and indexing the crank sprocke back to the crank and two spot welds 180* on the crank.

I guees that's a long way of telly the OP not to worry about the "B" motor counter balancer system unless the bike is high mileage. If the OP is considering purchasing a softail, a test ride will reveal any issues with the counter balancers.;)

I have a 2002 FXST, in 1993 I had a FXSTC Evo. Then in 1999 had JP Moen build me a 95 inch Edlebrock heads, JE pistons S&S crank FXR.

Back