free website stats program Axle Holder Stud Snapped | Harley Davidson Forums

Axle Holder Stud Snapped

GaBoy

I was replacing the front wheel after some maintenance and cleaning and one of the axle holder studs on the right side snapped. There is still about 1/2" of the stud left sticking out of the fork. What is the best way to get the remaining portion out?

Easy outs are a bit pricey but are an amazing tool.
WAP.gif

IF you are really careful,,,,,,, a clamp-plier might do the job..(*) below

IF I had it, I'd use a nut on it and Weld it inside the hole... Must cool off theen lightly turn each way to start it moving....

(I am an Old welder and using the proper .030 wire S-6 wire, I do and did this all the time)

Now IF you use the clamping jaw type plier,,,,

(*)

Thinking a little heat on the aluminum???

some Faint at that suggestion.....:small3d031:

signed....BUBBIE

I'd also go with some heat on the leg, then vice grips really clamped down and wiggle loose/tight/loose to break it free. Start gentle and try and preserve the stub you have sticking out.

Last edited:
If you use vice-grips on the stud, your chances of preserving it go to 0. If you need to grip it that hard to move it, it is TRASH. Plan on replacing the stud after running the correct size and thread tap in the hole to clean it up. This is not something you want to not do correctly.

Defiantly a wee bit of heat and welding a nut on to the remaining stud would be a good way to go or perhaps 2 nuts locked together may work
As the stud will have been in there for a wee while it may take a few heat cycles and a few attempts at working the stud to break it free from the crud that will be holding it in place
A good quality stud extractor may also be worth investing in especially an impact one where you could use a hand or air impact driver to break it free

I personally do not have any stud extractors and usually get by with 2 nuts some heat and a fair bit of effort so i might just go tool shopping soon :)

Brian

you can also hit it with some penetrating oil and then use a hack saw to put a notch through the center of it and then use a screw driver in the slot to back it out

I bought a set of stud removers from Sears a few years ago, and can honestly say that they are akin to owning a handgun. You don't always need them, but when you need them, you need them! I think the set ran ma abut $25, good quality and they work really well. As some posts have pointed out, this is a job you don't want to "not do properly". Some heat to the stud, and/or some PB Blaster should help you out. Good luck.....

Back