free website stats program Avoid Buying A Bike That Has Been In A Wreck? | Harley Davidson Forums

Avoid Buying A Bike That Has Been In A Wreck?

Bedrock

I'm shopping for my first HD. I came across a bike that looks mint. The owner has been very honest & open w/ me. It's a 2009 Dyna that had 2 major incidents: first, it was backed into by a truck 2 years ago & then about 7 months ago the owner ran it into a wall. All repairs have been done by an HD dealership (I've seen & have copies of the work orders) & after the most recent incident, the bike spent several months w/ HD before it was done. Like I said, the bike looks mint. Should I stay away?

Should I stay away?

Without knowing the price, mileage and what options the bike has, who knows if it would be a good deal. If a dealership did the work, chances are the work was done right. I doubt the dealership would fix a bike that really should be a "total". Have you rode the bike to see how it tracks and handles? Knowing what parts were replaced (all you said was you saw the list) would certainly tell you how bad these accidents were.

I would ask the dealership if they would warranty this bike,if yes then I would go for it only if the price was well below the KBB price.

From the sounds of the incidents - no. Unless you plan to keep the bike forever, will be hard re-sell for you, as well. It's winter season here for us "Northerners" and tons of good deals will flush out after the holiday's. Just be patient & your bike will find you...good luck!

I don't care about the seller selling his bike. Avoid it like the plague.

As said before there are to many really nice bikes on CL for decent prices to take a chance on something like this. My .02

A lot depends on the price. That said, my Sportster started popping out of 2nd gear a month after I bought it used (at about 1,500 miles). At first it only happened going uphill, maybe once a month. I took it to 3 independent shops just for that issue. (The dealer I bought it from said this was not covered by the extended warrantee I bought.)

We tried several things, changing fluids, an "easy clutch", almost everything but a new transmission. The last mechanic who looked at it, said it may have fallen on the gear shifter and bent up parts inside. After a few years it would pop out of 2nd at least once a week, so I traded it back to the dealer.

I hope you have better luck.

:44:

Back