free website stats program Avoid being rearended | Harley Davidson Forums

Avoid being rearended

Jonas

A local High School teacher was killed this past weekend on his bike. A SUV did not see him and plowed into the back of his bike, causing him to run into the car in front of him. Beside someone turning left in front of me, this is my biggest worry.

This what I try to do at a stop;

Stop with bike in gear, foot on the rear brake. (Ready to go and more rear lights)

Set myself up with a path to escape(do not pull right up to the car infront of you, angle bike to one side or the other)

Watch rear view mirror until I know it is safe.

Lightup the back of my bike, Converted turning signal to red lens running lamps.

Here is the local story, prayers to his family and friends.

Charlotte teacher dies in motorcycle crash - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Sad. :(

I have a rear brake flasher and when I see anyone approaching from the rear when I'm stopped, I release and reapply my brakes which reinitiates the flashing sequence. It's too easy for a steady light on the back of your bike to blend into the lights of the vehicle ahead of you to an inattentive driver.

My bike, when brake on it flashes 3 times then 1 long then 3 flashes repeats if brake on. its called back off.. prayers to the family GOD BLESS ...

Thanks for sharing. This is a riding\safety concern that should always be considered.
WAP.gif

I use the flashing brake lights on my bike and believe it has saved me a couple of times. I normally stop at least a car length from the vehicle in front of me and look for a plan of escape.

You can never have enough light if you ask me. I now have the BAL-1 tail light and it is Great. I am saving up my money, gonna have a stiff drink, close my eyes and hit the key to order the BAL-2. The heck with the cages seeing red spots in their eyes.

You can never have enough light if you ask me. I now have the BAL-1 tail light and it is Great. I am saving up my money, gonna have a stiff drink, close my eyes and hit the key to order the BAL-2. The heck with the cages seeing red spots in their eyes.

Who are you ordering them from?

Bodeen

God Bless his family and friends. A sad sad story. Remember guys and gals keep your head up and pay attention.

Very sad. The same thing happen to a couple last year while we were in Daytona for bike week. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Back