free website stats program Auto Tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

Auto Tensioner

kevinp

I'm thinking of installing a M6 auto tensioner! They seem pretty straight forward and easy to install? Are they? Does anyone have any experience with them or would you suggest a diffent type?:p

I've had one on my '92 for about 19 years and 60k miles. Absolutely no issues. EZ install. I suggest using a new primary gasket if yours is more than a couple years old.

Last edited:
Just one added note... please don't lug your engine with an auto tensioner installed... this will trigger the adjusting sequence and potentially over adjust... or over tighten your primary chain.

One side affect will be over pre-loading the tranny output shaft bearing and cause pre mature failure... besides over loading the chain, rub block just to name a few more.

Last edited:
are you saying that the tensioner will tighten up and lock too tight? I guess i was thinking that the m6 was a free floating spring loaded tensioner

Correct, the M6 is a free floating tensioner, not a ratcheting type like Harleys new oem style.

Just one added note... please don't lug your engine with an auto tensioner installed... this will trigger the adjusting sequence and potentially over adjust... or over tighten your primary chain.

One side affect will be over pre-loading the tranny output shaft bearing and cause pre mature failure... besides over loading the chain, rub block just to name a few more.

I saw this on a friend's bike. Not a good thing. I went with with Baker's option.
Fine Tooth Chain Adjuster and Shoe | Baker Drivetrain

My mistake the Haden M6 is a spring loaded device and non-ratcheting. I was referring to the OEM unit. (I guess I better learn to read more thoroughly)
cracker

glad to hear your opinions thanks. its allways good to have all the infoe before starting a project. sometime skim reading is more entertaining anyways. lol

The M6 has a very good reputation with riders, however it is known to sometimes break the spring. I'm partial to the similar unit that uses the primary oil to drive a small hydraulic piston much like a hydraulic lifter. I've been using one successfully for 3 years now. It also costs about the same as the M6.

Back