free website stats program auto adjust primary chain tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

auto adjust primary chain tensioner

If you are talking about the tensioners on the new bikes, then yes it can over adjust. They usually run very tight.

If you give more info on what you are talking about, you may get better answers.

O3 flstci upgraded to auto adj, hear noises when rpms level off before shifting like a ratteling from left side ,not notacible when in 6 gear.

Which auto adjust, there's many of them, hayden, HD, HB125???. Open the primary and check it over.

O3 flstci upgraded to auto adj, hear noises when rpms level off before shifting like a ratteling from left side ,not notacible when in 6 gear.

Hmmm. While you are in there, check the rotor to make sure it is not loose. If it is, the compensator nut is probably loose which has allowed the rotor to wallow around. If that has happened, best to pull the compensator, clutch basket and chain, and then pull the rotor. Check the teeth that run in the driveshaft. Make sure these are nice and sharp - not rounded or broken. Then look at the stator to make sure all the coils are the same color, and there is no noticable damage to the ends. Look at the rotor magnets to make sure they are all equally spaced and there is not a lot of big chunks of metal sticking to them.

If the noise is the tensioner mechanism allowing too much play in the chain, there are a number of alternative systems to provide more consistent tension on the chain.

TQ

compensator nut is tight but primary chain is very tight .adjuster is a REGINA my local dealership installed. I thought a primary chain this tight could cause wear on other parts?

No i think its like 07 s use

Checked all took tensioner off reinstalled ratcheted up a little buttoned it all up ,break in the rain ,go test ride,

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this is for a different problem , but would the proceedure below adjust the chain to the correct tension..

Here's a trick to reduce the constant engine noise that sounds like valve train noises on the newer 96 Cu In. bikes that have the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners and no inspection port.
I tried this on my RKC and can notice a definite improvement. The problem seems to be coming from the primary chain and not really the valve train at all.

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

Back