free website stats program At a loss | Harley Davidson Forums

At a loss

PaPa T

I put a new front tire on 09 Heritage because of a puncture. Put bike back together and when it gets: hot and I go to back it in the garage I get a real bad squel from front brake. Took it to dealer and they pulled it apart and cleaned and chambered the pads ruffed them up and was fine (all of this for no charge) By the time I got home about 25 miles had the same symptons. Any thoughts are would it be best to just replace front pads? Need your help

Thanks
PaPa T

They are not dragging it only happens when I roll it backwards and it's hot. I have 5600 miles on it

What I would suggest is to not RIDE it backwards and that should eliminate the noise. :D

The belt will track to the opposite side of the pulley when backing a bike up. This may be where you are getting the noise from.

I would guess you could stop the noise by using "tack spray" on the back of the pads. It's used in cages all the time to keep the pads from loosing contact with the relaxed pistons and making noise against the rotors. The service manual does not say anything about using it but I see no harm by doing so. It would certainly help get rid of the noise. If you do use it, the red thin coat spray is so much better than the blue thick brush on kind. If the piston quad seal is doing it's job, the tack spray would fix it. Just my opinion on that.

Glider it is no fun to always drive forward sometimes you need to chande things up alittle a run backwards. Where is your sense of adventure?

To prevent a squeel comming from brakes i paint the back side of the pads with copper grease and it prevents the harmonic vibration that causes a squeel it always works for me

Brian

Belts a good answer.

If you do find that it is the front end, since the pads have been cleaned and chambered, you could try roughing up the rotor. In the past I've done mine with some medium emery cloth using circular motion on both sides of the disc. Followed by a wipe down with a rag sprayed with disc brake cleaner.

Back