free website stats program Apples to apples Heritage Softail Classic to Windshield bagger opinions | Harley Davidson Forums

Apples to apples Heritage Softail Classic to Windshield bagger opinions

Comparing the Softail Classic to baggers with a windshield (not a fairing which can change characteristics) how much difference is there in ride for longer trips?
Probably a Softail Classic to Road King would be an apples to apples comparison.

The Kings will have a much bigger windshield then the Heritage and the King has the same suspension as the Glides......So the ride quallity is increased considerably and you will ride farther and longer than you ever thought you would.

Its only a matter of time and "Someday you will own a Bagger..''

The expression I've always heard that sums up the difference - you sit ON a Road King (or any Touring model) but you sit IN a Softail.

Plop down on each one on the showroom floor and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about. For some folks it's a huge thing and a potential deal breaker. Others don't worry too much about it and use other factors in deciding which bike to buy.

The expression I've always heard that sums up the difference - you sit ON a Road King (or any Touring model) but you sit IN a Softail.

Plop down on each one on the showroom floor and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about. For some folks it's a huge thing and a potential deal breaker. Others don't worry too much about it and use other factors in deciding which bike to buy.
Definitely true. I couldn't say one is better than the other.......but I can say that my road king is comfortable in a different kind of way than the deuce. Hopefully, my husband & I will start getting some longer rides in so I wanted the road king so I could carry my gear comfortably. Plus, the older I get, the more I become like my father, (yes, it's scary), but all the things I never liked in the past seem to be what I like now. i.e., Wide white walls.....:panic:panic:panic

No comparisons here, different suspensions different motors Softails with counter balancers :s

No comparisons here, different suspensions different motors Softails with counter balancers :s
Jack, you are always ready with details, details.......LOL

This proves it I guess that men & women look at everything different & ask different questions. An example, we had a friend call the other night to let us know his brother-in-law was selling a trailer, hubby's first question was 'how much?' & my first question was 'what color is it?'. :lolrolling

But yeah, the counter balancers make a big difference on the deuce. It took some time for me to get used to all that shaking going on with the road king. :s

But yeah, the counter balancers make a big difference on the deuce. It took some time for me to get used to all that shaking going on with the road king. :s

You just have to keep moving! They only shake when you're sitting still. Smooth as silk when you're rolling along.

I went from a "Heritaged" Fatboy (windshield, bags, crash bar, luggage rack) to an Ultra Limited.

So I can't speak to the Road King windshield, but the suspension and the seat are much more comfy, especially for the passenger. The high speed maneuverability is better on the touring bike, the low speed is better on the softail.

You do a reach a little further to the ground, and muscling the back out of parking spot takes a little more oomf.

The unbalanced engine may chug a little more at stoplights, but it's not a big deal.

Overall, I think if you're planning on two up riding or long distance, get the touring bike. If not, you're probably fine with the softail.

You just have to keep moving! They only shake when you're sitting still. Smooth as silk when you're rolling along.
It is like a work of art at how the touring bikes smooth out when you get rolling, but coming off a softail, it was amazing how much more it shook when stopped. :D

Back