free website stats program Apes for my Custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Apes for my Custom

I have done business with this company. I have 16" wild one apes on my bike and am very satisfied with the look and feel of them. I also called them for some info and they were very helpfull to me. One thing I also liked about their website, when I was looking for pics of bikes they had some there with the bars mounted on them so I could see how they looked on a bike instead of just in a pic all by themselves. I am totally happy with their product.

Wow, ya know I've done alot of ape hanger jobs, and that is a really good price for everything your getting. Chrome master cylinder and chrome levers will run you almost $500 by themselves at the Harley shop. IMO the only thing I would want to know is what is the quality of the product they are using, I've used the wild 1 chubbys they are a solid bar. I've seen cheaper housing chrome crack and peel within a month or right when you put the torx on them to tighten them down. Quality of cable is important also, you don't want them "yellowing" after a couple of seasons either, a good set of cables from Barnett, Harley or Russell will run you 4-5 bones. I'd give them a call to see what kind of product they use first, thats just me, heck, it may be quality material and i should be calling them!
P.S don't forget new riser bushings, transmission gasket, brake fluid, and trans fluid (if its not included in the kit) and good solders on them wires are very important!

Thanks for the input guys.

Solder on the wires? I don't have a problem with soldering but I thought I have seen a harness made that will connect right into the factory harness.

I bet the dealer wants a small fortune for the labor to install it. I am going to do it myself. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. The clutch cable is my biggest concern as that is new territory for me.

Thier website is down right now so I can't see pictures. Anyone have some pics they can post of a custom with apes?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.

Solder on the wires? I don't have a problem with soldering but I thought I have seen a harness made that will connect right into the factory harness.

I bet the dealer wants a small fortune for the labor to install it. I am going to do it myself. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. The clutch cable is my biggest concern as that is new territory for me.

Honestly, the hardest part with the clutch cable, is that on most bikes you have to remove or take loose the exhaust system. If you've never done it before, its not that bad, remove the trans cover and pay close attention to how everything comes apart. There are no fine setting or adjustments that are going to come undone by removing the cover. And just put it all back together with the new cable in place. Having the service manual on hand is always helpful also. And yes the dealerships are around 6-8 bones just in labor. Good luck and if you have any problems, this site can be a money and life saver!

Last edited:
Honestly, the hardest part with the clutch cable, is that on most bikes you have to remove or take loose the exhaust system. If you've never done it before, its not that bad, remove the trans cover and pay close attention to how everything comes apart. There are no fine setting or adjustments that are going to come undone by removing the cover. And just put it all back together with the new cable in place. Having the service manual on hand is always helpful also. And yes the dealerships are around 6-8 bones just in labor. Good luck and if you have any problems, this site can be a money and life saver!

I think I'm in luck. I just put Bassani pipes on mine and they run side by side. I don't think they are blocking the cover. I don't have to re-adjust the clutch when I replace the cable?

thanks

09GLDR - As our fearless leader says, there are kits for everything...all it takes is time and money.

Wiring extension kits are in HANDLEBARS section, on page 797 of the attached J&P Cycle catalog as reference:

J&P Cycles® - Harley Catalog

Back