free website stats program Anyone install a Harley front end lowering kit? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone install a Harley front end lowering kit?

vegas

Has anyone out there installed the Harley front end lowering kit on their bike?

If so, are you happy with the ride and the general result?

Yes, and I don't think it hurt the ride any. I also put lowering shocks on the rear, and they caused it to ride a little rough on the back end. I recently bought a lowering mount to use the factory shocks, but haven't tried it yet.

Keep in mind that lowering anything below the factory height will cause a harsher than stock ride because the suspension travel is reduced and the spring rates must be increased to keep from bottoming out the suspension.

also keep in mind hes asking about a softail i would guess which is way different than a touring bike

Good catch Bud:s

Still applies to the softail even more because of the rear suspension setup. Lower is harsher on that setup too.

Just removed a Burly Slammer kit for a friend It was a harsh ride:s

Just going lower in the front, keeping the rear as is.
Harley site says that the new springs keeps the ride the same...
Just wondering if it's true or just marketing fluff...

Just going lower in the front, keeping the rear as is.
Harley site says that the new springs keeps the ride the same...
Just wondering if it's true or just marketing fluff...

Glider has you covered above. To ensure that the suspension is not bottoming out with the shorter available travel, stuff has to be stouter. Just the way it is. But that is the trade off you make to have a lowered bike.

I lowered my UC with MoCo kits front and rear. That plus the REACH seat has made a big difference to the stability of the bike, but it is a stiffer ride. C'est la vie!

TQ

I had my 08 FB lowered front and rear before shipment to me in Vietnam, so can't give a 'before' comparison, but if memory serves, it is a little stiffer than my 98 FB.
Chopper shop who installed them says the stock lowering kits are ok, but do not attempt lowering below their kit specs as the rear tire will bottom out and rip out your wiring.
If lowering the front I suggest lowering the rear to keep the balance as the bike was designed. It dropped my bike 1" and I am very satisfied with the handling. But on the hiways I had been riding there have been some dips and potholes where the front end has bottomed out, hard. Expecting the front seals to leak, but they are still holding, although I have replaced one of the auxillary lamps 3 times. Guess it can't handle the shock! Footboards do scrape often on curves.
A friend is bringing me a shock adjusting tool for me to play around with softening the rear.
Good luck & enjoy the ride.

I have to ask. Why do you want to lower the front end. I know different strokes but I have never understood the lower or slammed look.

I have a FLSTC and have bottomed out the front forks several times. I wish I had another 1" of travel.

Back