free website stats program Any Engineers/Designers Out There? | Harley Davidson Forums

Any Engineers/Designers Out There?

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Just thought I would throw this up here...because after busting my tail for 18 months to study & pass my CCNA exam last year, my company decided that my job role wouldn't require me to use that knowledge...only to later on down the road tell me my job wasn't important enough to keep my department, obviously because the customer's I dealt with usually paid around $1200/month...:O, and some to the tune of +$80k/month...so my team, though small and income generating was not needed. :D So, I have now taken a job in our engineering and design team.

I am wondering if there are any suggestions as to a mouse I may be interested in investing in for my new role, (I've heard that is an upgrade I will most likely be interested in) and if there are any suggestions as to any additional reading/youtube stuff I may look into before we get rolling.

We start our official training Tuesday, but just thought I would see what advice I may get from anyone with experience. My plan for the mouse was to just use my basic mouse for now, until I get an idea on what features/functions I will actually need once I get rolling. To the best of my knowledge, I will be using Bentley V8i & AutoDesk. I am also gathering that I will be working remotely off a server rather than off my actual PC.
I wold ask the existing team, however...this is a new department that the company is bringing back after axing it about 10 years ago. :D It seems to be the way they roll..build a department, then get rid of it, only to bring it back fresh and new down the road. ;) But I am okay with it, I'm looking forward to learning a new skill to have in my pocket just in case I actually fall under the ax and have to look for a job down the road. (I hope not, I have 25 years in here, would like to ride it out to the end).

Geeze Joy, I wish I could help, but I only understood a small portion of your post (my lack, not your writing). I didn't know mouse(s) came in anything but left click, right click, move around. Good luck on your new roll in the ever changing workplace.

I'm with you on the mouses!!! There are some over $300!!!. I don't think I will be that dedicated, lol, but if 'they' want to buy us those, more power to them. :)

Are trackballs still all the rage with CAD folks? You're using it all day long so fit is more important than anything else. Much more so than the average user.
You think the mouse expensive, ask them how much they spent on the server that runs autodesk for you.

Are trackballs still all the rage with CAD folks? You're using it all day long so fit is more important than anything else. Much more so than the average user.
You think the mouse expensive, ask them how much they spent on the server that runs autodesk for you.

Dan, I am sure they spent a small fortune on that server!!! They have ordered us a mouse to start off with, (it was 'only' $100. :D. I'm just happy they are bringing this department back locally. All other engineering groups had to relocate to Austin or Denver. ;).

I meant good luck, I typed before I had my coffee.:eek:

Thanks Jeff!

I had a mouse once that had lots of extra buttons I would by accident touch a button that caused something to happen so I got rid of it I think it was a six button mouse for gaming
When I have been in places where they were using cad software trackballs seemed to be common
So it may take a wee bit of trial and error to work out what works best for you the software that comes with a multi button mouse or trackpad usually allow you to assign specific functions to the buttons
I personally use a lot of keyboard shortcuts to save me from reaching for the mouse

Brian

Dan/Brian, I know track balls used to be the big thing, but I'm not sure on them. With that being said...oddly enough, I have a track ball mouse that I use with my windows PC at home, while on the couch. lol, but I'm not a big fan overall. (mainly because I need to use my iPad as a mouse pad with the normal mouse, but not with the track ball) But this is the wireless track ball that you roll with the thumb...I have another mouse that is contoured and I like it for somethings, but it feels big and clunky overall. It's selling point to me was the fact that it will work on a glass top desk, which is what I have at home. It has a few buttons, but I just use the buttons for forward/back etc. AND...lol, I have several of the basic wireless mice about and the basic ones seem to be my typical choice overall. But, with the new job, the mouse will be the thing day in and day out I suppose.

Once you have started working with the new software you may then be able to formulate an idea of what will work best for you I see a wee bit of trail and error for a wee while till you get it just right

Brian

Back