free website stats program Any 89 FLTC Gurus on here? | Harley Davidson Forums

Any 89 FLTC Gurus on here?

Skid52

I need to know if anyone else has had this problem? When I let my bike sit for extended periods and then start it up it pours out oil, lot's of oil, but when I run it on a regular basis it's fine. Any ideas? Thanks Ahead!
Skid...ZFFZ...LZDZ...GFZD...

Your engine is "sumping" which means oil from the tank is draining into the crankcase. When started the pressure from the pistons moving down causes pressure and the oil has to leave. By the crankcase vent. The cause is the oil pump check valve is not seating perfectly, and a tiny amount seeps past daily. There are several temporary fixes, too many for me to list now. Google "harley oil sumping" to see if you want to do a temp. or permanent fix. A quick check is to pull the oil pump check ball and see if it has debris or wear marks. This is located under that BIG strange looking straight screw head on top of the oil pump (on the engine case,behind the cam cover) the ball can be removed with a pencil magnet.

P.S. I'm not a Harley guru, just a guy with oil-stained garage concrete.

I need to know if anyone else has had this problem? When I let my bike sit for extended periods and then start it up it pours out oil, lot's of oil, but when I run it on a regular basis it's fine. Any ideas? Thanks Ahead!
Skid...ZFFZ...LZDZ...GFZD...
You can remove the big screw on the oil pump remove the spring and pull out the ball with a small magnet. Order the replacement balls get two. Glue one to the end of a wooden dowel, apply a fine lapping compound to ball and lap seat area. Inspect area with a light when seat are is smooth clean area with mineral spirts install a new ball, not the one you used for lapping with spring and install cap screw. The cap screw on crank case has a screen and spring that is for filtering oil going to hydraulic lifters you can remove that and clean if you do chose. Run bike then replace engine oil and filter. Hope this helps. You will need an impact screw driver as plugs are usually in there pretty tight.

Back