free website stats program Antenna question | Harley Davidson Forums

Antenna question

Redfish-Joe

Since I have a removable tour pack on my Road Glide I would like to take it off from time to time for a different look. The question is what do I need to do for an antenna? Will the one off the tour pack work or do I need to buy another?
I have thought of a Tune Trapper hidden antenna but then what to do with the holes in the tour pack??:dknow

I have an antenna in the fairing that I am happy with. It is not the powered type, it is like a strip of tape. I don't really listen much to the radio, I have a Zumo 550 GPS and have added the GXM reciever antenna so I am not affected be weak reception. I have bought the lifetime service plan and just take everything from the bike to the truck.
kemo

Thanks Smitty. I had it off and saw what you are talking about but wasn't sure what I was looking at.:p

Thanks!

I was just going to say that if there is a female or male threaded insert to match the ends, most local hardware stores carry boxes of odd parts and adapters. I would bring the antenna end in and get the matching end...if it is a "coax" connector, look at SMA or BNC type connectors or similar from Newark, Allied, Mouser etc. for the appropriate mating connector. Just keep an open mind, "--there are always solutions."

I put the powered antenna in the fairing and then put a shorty antenna on the tour pak just for looks. Didn't like the look of the empty stub with the antenna removed from the pak. With tour pak off, I now have the sleek, no-antenna look.

Since I have a removable tour pack on my Road Glide I would like to take it off from time to time for a different look. The question is what do I need to do for an antenna? Will the one off the tour pack work or do I need to buy another?
I have thought of a Tune Trapper hidden antenna but then what to do with the holes in the tour pack??:dknow

Joe; When I got my Classic it had only a Tune Trapper in the fairing, and I thought reception was ok. I just put my whip back on for a trip and the # of stations and the quality of reception is much better. My buddy riding with me had a shorty and had trouble finding stations, I always had a big choice. I bought a "y" connector for the fairing. This plugs into the radio, and has 2 female connectors. The Tune Trapper is always hooked up, and the whip when the tour pack is on. If you want to run the t.pack w/o antenna on, there's all kinds of do-dads like mirror bezels at hardware store, rally pins, that can be adapted to the antenna holes. I bought a $5 shorty at O'Reillys that looks ok.

B1-B guy and I put one of those ribbon types of antennas in my fairing yesterday that I got off of ebay for $21 and disconnected the stock one from the HK Unit. Seems to work great..!
Rear end of the bike looks a whole lot better too.
Big Improvement!!

I think I'll go with what Smitty said about the screw in disconnect. I'll keep the antenna on the tour pack and buy a shorty to take on ane off as needed. Thanks all!!!

This is the one Glider sort of recommended & we put it on my husband's bike this summer. It seems to work well, but I will say he usually listens to the ipod or a CD. When he did listen to the radio, he didn't have any complaints. We do live in an area where reception is good for Cincinnati & Dayton, Ohio, so if you live in a remote area, you may experience some loss of distance.

Hidden Antenna For Touring Bikes - Harley Davidson Community

Motorcycle Hidden Antenna (TT2C2)

Back