free website stats program ANOTHER TFI Situation.. Heeeeelp | Harley Davidson Forums

ANOTHER TFI Situation.. Heeeeelp

israguard

Hi everyone,

Some may remember that I had posted just over a week ago about the check engine light / busted Doebeck TFI unit that was being replaced under warrantee & that all was well..

Well... not all is well.

I opened the box from Doebeck today (I got it via UPS Thursday) and right away noticed something was off..

The unit in the package they sent me is a Gen 3. However, it doesnt have the 2nd set of wires for the O2 sensors (grey plugs). It only has one set of wires to be hooked to the injectors.

The paper instructions clearly say "2007-2012 Touring".

Am I correct in assuming the in error shipped me the wrong unit ?

I leave Monday to Laconia and really wanted it installed on bike for trip. Maybe Doebeck will be in Laconia ??

If someone can please get back to me I'd be much obliged about have possibly received the wrong unit.

Rgds, Shawn

Hi everyone,

Some may remember that I had posted just over a week ago about the check engine light / busted Doebeck TFI unit that was being replaced under warrantee & that all was well..

Well... not all is well.

I opened the box from Doebeck today (I got it via UPS Thursday) and right away noticed something was off..

The unit in the package they sent me is a Gen 3. However, it doesnt have the 2nd set of wires for the O2 sensors (grey plugs). It only has one set of wires to be hooked to the injectors.

The paper instructions clearly say "2007-2012 Touring".

Am I correct in assuming the in error shipped me the wrong unit ?

I leave Monday to Laconia and really wanted it installed on bike for trip. Maybe Doebeck will be in Laconia ??

If someone can please get back to me I'd be much obliged about have possibly received the wrong unit.

Rgds, Shawn

What is the number of the unit? Is it FI-1254ST?

As soon as I am home from Dinner I'll post pix and confirm model number
WAP.gif

Hi everyone,

The 4 pictures are of the NEW unit which is still in the box. You will notice that as i hold unit... it only has ONE set of wires coming out of it. These are the wires which lead to the injectors only.

Also, there is a picture of the manual as well as the sticker on the box.

In a post right after this one.. I will post images of the unit (defective) which is still on bike but disconnected.

I believe they shipped the wrong unit in the right box.

hope you can help.

Thanks

Attachments

• Dobeck1.jpg
    Dobeck1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Dobeck3.jpg
    Dobeck3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Dobeck4.jpg
    Dobeck4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Dobeck7.jpg
    Dobeck7.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 50
In these two images you can see the older (defective unit).

It has two sets of wires coming out of it. One to the injectors 7 the other to the O2 censors (grey square plugs).

This didnt come with the new / replacement unit.

Did they ship me in error the wrong unit? Why dont I have the o2 plugs on the replacement unit ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Dobeck5.jpg
    Dobeck5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Dobeck6.jpg
    Dobeck6.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 44
Part number 9120332 is the one that has the wiring harness to the O2 sensors. You have part number 9120333 and it does not. They are both for 2010-2912 Touring. I read the instructions for both and the one you have says just to disconnect the O2 sensor plugs which are odd because it is a closed loop system and it will throw a code. Any of the other TFI’s for other years that do not have the wiring to the O2 sensors, come with two O2 sensor bypasses. You disconnect the O2 sensor wires(front and rear) and plug in the bypass plug in the wiring harness going back to the ECM therefore closing the loop. The instructions for those explain that but the one you have just says to disconnect them which is odd??? Does your kit have two bypass plugs in a separate plastic bag like the ones in the pic?

Attachments

• ControllerWithO2Bypasses.jpg
    ControllerWithO2Bypasses.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30
In these two images you can see the older (defective unit).

It has two sets of wires coming out of it. One to the injectors 7 the other to the O2 censors (grey square plugs).

This didnt come with the new / replacement unit.

Did they ship me in error the wrong unit? Why dont I have the o2 plugs on the replacement unit ?

Thanks

I'm looking at my Old TFI and it isn't like your TFI......

I Think you have a gen 3 not a tfi .... UNLESS they changed the looks of them. TFI uses a small screw-driver to adjust and has a Long oval rubber cover to remove to adjust it..
Your OLD pictures are a gen3 in my book...

I have a new, in box, gen3 that I took out to see and it looks like your Old one. AND new one. ????

Wires are the same on MY new gen3 and Old TFI... As your New gen3 (not TFI)

The only wiring on my OLD TFI and New gen3 are two plugs off each set of wires,,,,, one with the wire lock(injector) and the other plugs into the HD system. (Two of each and a ground wire).. NOTHING else as you are saying or showing on your old set-up on the bike.

I don't understand why your OLD unit is like a Gen3. My TFI has a big rubber oval that comes off to adjust and your OLD one you call TFI has the +- button..= gen3 to me.

Now your first pictures of the wires ARE the SAME as I have on BOTH my Old TFI and the NEW gen3... Not sure what you see IS different?????

Can you hook them up to your bike? Look at the pictures of the directions and give it a try.

I think it will hook up like mine... Put the red and white wire to the front injector... Then the green and gray wire to the back injector.

Hope I made sense....Trying to catch you while you are still on line

MY TFI says TFI on it and YOURS is a EJK= gen3

Oilers pict is correct

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Bubbie

Yes, I can hook it all up. But Im concerned/curious as to why the unit I purchased 10 months ago had another set of wires running to the O2 sensors and this one doesn't.

I don't want to hook it up and cause any damage..
WAP.gif

Back