free website stats program Another Stage 2 build | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Stage 2 build

Mikvi

Just starting on a build on a 2001 ultra with 30,000 miles. Originally this was just going to be a cam swap to gear cams for reliability. After talking to the Guys at AMS, this is what I am installing:

AMS CNC ported heads
AMS 96" Big Bore kit
[2] Big Bore multi-layer steel Head Gaskets
Cam install kit
ANDREWS TW26G gear drive CAMS
Cam DRIVE GEAR SET
AMS-HyLift Lifters
S&S Adjustable Pushrod Kit
Top End Gasket Set
Surface and boring of oil pump cover / cam plate (includes the 5 o rings)

Already have VH true duels and mufflers and an Arlen ness big gulper.

I have already installed a Cobra FI2000 to take care of the crappy stage1 tune the dealer did on the bike. After installing the FI2000 it was like riding a different bike; Pops and bangs disappeared and no more low end pinging. Hope the device can handle the new mods

I will keep this updated. I am building this for torque not top end, so will see how it goes :) I would appreciate any comments.

Just starting on a build on a 2001 ultra with 30,000 miles. Originally this was just going to be a cam swap to gear cams for reliability. After talking to the Guys at AMS, this is what I am installing:

AMS CNC ported heads
AMS 96" Big Bore kit
[2] Big Bore multi-layer steel Head Gaskets
Cam install kit
ANDREWS TW26G gear drive CAMS
Cam DRIVE GEAR SET
AMS-HyLift Lifters
S&S Adjustable Pushrod Kit
Top End Gasket Set
Surface and boring of oil pump cover / cam plate (includes the 5 o rings)

I would appreciate any comments.

You asked for comments; mine follow:

Not a fan of the AMS-HyLift lifters; would suggest a set of S&S Standards.

Have you discussed compression with the AMS guys? The heads should be decked to an 82cc chamber to set static CR at about 9.6 and the head gaskets should be .030" gaskets. If this hasn't been discussed, you need to tell the AMS guys that's what you want if you want to get the most of the 26 cams.

Not sure what "surface and boring" of the cam plate means. I could see milling maybe up to about .010" but not more. If the cam plate is scored, I would consider replacing it with the SE Hybrid cam plate kit and high capacity pump.:s

Thanks for the input. Not going to mess with the cam plate, going with a high capacity pump. All the other stuff you mentioned, very valid points, was addressed by AMS before everything was purchased. I think static ended up around 9.7 and the heads were worked with those cams in mind. Any reason why you are not a fan of the AMS lifters?

Thanks for the input. Not going to mess with the cam plate, going with a high capacity pump. All the other stuff you mentioned, very valid points, was addressed by AMS before everything was purchased. I think static ended up around 9.7 and the heads were worked with those cams in mind. Any reason why you are not a fan of the AMS lifters?

9.7 static will be good for the 26 cams; BTW, I think the AMS package is a good one with the exception of the lifters. So, you are retaining the OEM cam plate, new outer bearings and replacing the pump with which high capacity pump? I assume you are installing and upgrading the inner cam bearings as well?

The AMS lifters just don't have a good history. I have one friend that runs them and loves them but know many others that have tried them but were not happy and won't use them. All hearsay but reliable as I know these guys and what they ride. I have never used them myself and that is the reason why.

I would suggest a set of S&S Standards; saw a set on Ebay for $112 yesterday. Another, less expensive option is the CompCams VThunder 850-1 lifters.:s

Correct on the cam bearings. They will all be replaced. Open to suggestions on the oil pump. Probably a Daytona. As I have the lifters, I'll try them and if not happy change out to S&S.

Forgot to ad we took the cam chain tensioners out. The inner fell apart as it was taken out and the outer tensioner was just about worn through the plastic. Bike has 30,000 miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct on the cam bearings. They will all be replaced. Open to suggestions on the oil pump. Probably a Daytona. As I have the lifters, I'll try them and if not happy change out to S&S.

Forgot to ad we took the cam chain tensioners out. The inner fell apart as it was taken out and the outer tensioner was just about worn through the plastic. Bike has 30,000 miles on it.

It would be a good idea to flush out the cam chest thoroughly making sure to get all the tensioner debris out.

Drag Specialties offers a pump that works with the early OEM cam plate; may be the save as the Daytona pump, not sure.

Attachments

• Drag Oil Pump.jpg
    Drag Oil Pump.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 10
Everything back together Saturday morning. Went to attach fuel lines and the return leaked so had to get another fitting for the tank. Local dealer was out so had to drive 50 miles to get one. Hope to get it installed and have it running today :)

Fired it up last week and had extremely low oil pressure. Opened the bike back up yesterday and found the oil pressure relief valve stuck. Took some getting out, but all ready to go back together today. Suspect tensioner bits got in it. Going to flush the oil system and install a Drag Specialties pump while at it. Fingers crossed I get to ride today.

Engine back together and now have oil pressure :) Will have the rest of the bike back together tonight or in the morning. Planning on doing a charity ride in Mississippi on Saturday.

Back