free website stats program Another oil thread "sorry" | Harley Davidson Forums

Another oil thread "sorry"

Electra1

Hello all,
First post for me so here it goes. Just picked up a 2005 FLHTCUI a year ago and have been using syn oil. Now today I decided to change the oil and thought about the oil cooler I have attached and thought to myself, do I still need to run syn oil with a cooler if I am not doing any heavy traffic stop and go type driving? Cooler only works if air is blowing on it anyways, but if I do nothing but cruising at highway speeds and the engine isn't ideling for long periods do I need to waist the money on syn oil? Isn't the cooler keeping it cool at highway speed?
Thanks,
Electra1

Use a FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin ENGINE oil in the engine, FULL synthetic GL-5 gear lube in the tranny, and a fit-for-purpose wet clutch chaincase lube in the primary. There are a lot of premium quality synthetic oils and gear lubes from companies such as ExxonMobil, Spectro, etc. Check out the self help pages for more info.

Yes, the cooler is helping!!

TQ

Use a FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin ENGINE oil in the engine, FULL synthetic GL-5 gear lube in the tranny, and a fit-for-purpose wet clutch chaincase lube in the primary. There are a lot of premium quality synthetic oils and gear lubes from companies such as ExxonMobil, Spectro, etc. Check out the self help pages for more info.

Yes, the cooler is helping!!

TQ

Thanks TQ,
But the reason I hear most about going to syn oil in the crank is because it helps cool the engine and doesn't break down as fast as dino when the engine is ran real hot like at Sturgis main street during the rally. Running highway speeds with air flowing through oil cooler and engine jugs does syn oil really matter? That was my question.
I still put syn in my scoot when I changed the oil, but it was a question that I was wondering about.
Thanks again,
Electra1

The oil cooler is helping but that is not the only or even main reason to use full synthetic oil. Full syn tends to hold on to or bond to a surface for a much longer period of time than regular oil thus keeping the surface lubricated during periods that a part might just sit. If you have a bearing that is used daily then regular oil might be ok but if you have some regular downtime such as not starting the bike for a couple of days, a week or more, the syn oil may still have a coating on the surface vs a non syn oil which may have already left the surface. Since the surface no longer has lube on it the wear factor is increased and after time it will hurt the part. To me that's the main benefit of full syn products as well as keeping things cooler and actually lubricating better (remember harley's original stand a few years ago that it would lube too well). It's just a wise move to go full syn and worth the extra cost on these expensive machines.

My own opinion;
IF...you ride like you say and no hard or long heat ups on oil, any dino motorcycle oil ok.
BUT...if you get caught in traffic, or really hot day, or anything out of ordinary then syn oil can't be beat.
If syn was really needed, why doesn't HD put it in all standard bikes?
wilks3

I run nothing but Spectro non syn in all three tanks of my 96 evo, Its been real hot this summer and I've sat in some traffic everything seems good. I change it more often in the summer maybe every 2K. I put syn in it when I first bought it and I had some problems with oil pressure. Harly dealership told me the old EVO's don't like the synthetic or at least syn 3 anyway

Thanks for the replies. I live out in the prairie, so the chances of getting stuck in stop and go traffic is pretty slim, but it does get hot out here. I will still use syn oil though. Thought about this a few times over the years. Changing the oil more often when using dino is what we used to do years ago and never had issues either. Anyway, thanks again.
Electra1

Thanks for the replies. I live out in the prairie, so the chances of getting stuck in stop and go traffic is pretty slim, but it does get hot out here. I will still use syn oil though. Thought about this a few times over the years. Changing the oil more often when using dino is what we used to do years ago and never had issues either. Anyway, thanks again.
Electra1

Good Ridin to ya

Back