free website stats program Another convert | Harley Davidson Forums

Another convert

FatBoyJim

I've heeded the sage advice on this forum and switched lubes. I put F+ in the primary, Lucas 75-90 in the tranny and Royal Purple syn in the crank. Absoultely no question the engine is quieter. I used to hear a lot of noise and that is all but gone. The tranny shifts much smoother and neutral is easy to find. All maintenance prior to this last one was done by the stealer. One thing has me worried however, and that is the tranny fluid that came out during the change. It was cream colored, kinda like Bailey's. Now I've heard this is caused by either water or assembly lube. If it's water, how the hell can it even get into the tranny, and if it's assembly lube, wouldn't that be gone after the first tranny fluid change that was done close to eight years ago? Whatever the fluid was, it had the smell of gear oil and not motor oil. Are there any fluids out there that are this color out of the bottle? Gonna pay a visit to the stealer and see exactly what it is they put in there.

More than likely water in the oil doing that. There's a inverted "J" vent tube in behind the primary that could be missing or cracked and when you wash the bike, water gets into the oil and makes it milky. Best to drain and refill but do find the water source and how it's getting in there.

Thanks glider. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Edit: Hey glider, I took a look and the inverted J you're talking about is the tubing coming off a 90 fitting that you can see looking down behind the primary? It's there and looks like there's nothing wrong with it. Anywhere else water can get in? I couldn't see any, but it would help me if I knew where to look. When i check the dipstick, there is definitely some "whiteness" left in the new oil. I guess I should change it again or even a couple times until it is clean oil? Or should I open the tranny and clean it out somehow?

Last edited:
Back