free website stats program Another Compensator Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Compensator Question

revok1200

Okay, I have read several of the articles in the self help, and it appears that the compensator issue is kind of isolated to the 96 and bigger motors? Is that correct?

My question is this, I have an 06 RG that had the 88, but after a needle bearing failure I had a factory reman 95 put in, the motor is great and strong (and broke in by the Glider method). But I do hear noise that sounds like engine noise but I am almost 100% sure it is not.

Could I be having a compensator issue as well, just turned 75K.

Could the mileage on the compensator just be the problem?

Any advice is a appreciated.

Which comp assembly do you have. The factory stock 96 or SE?

I am not completely sure, but I am pretty sure it is most likely the original 88 compensator that came on the bike (stock).

The dealer did the install on the factory reman motor upgrade to 95 and I never thought to ask about the compensator.

But I do hear noise that sounds like engine noise

You need to go into some detail about the type of noise it is. What it sounds like, when does it happen (when starting), worse when hot or cold, coming from primary area etc..

You need to go into some detail about the type of noise it is. What it sounds like, when does it happen (when starting), worse when hot or cold, coming from primary area etc..

Fair enough,

The noise sounds like (rockers rattling) but only when you are in motion.

The noise is more prevelant in lower gears (1-3), under 50mph)

When at road speed (50 -80) you don't really hear any noise from it.

If I pull the clutch (and coast) when I hear the noise, the noise will go away, as soon as I let the clutch out the noise comes back.

I don't have any noises while starting, and it does seem to be more noticeable when it is hot.

If you want any more info let me know?

I would think that you still have the 88 compensator. In '07 was the 1st year of the 96ci. and it had the auto adj. compensator which mounts differently than the adjustable type. They would of had to change out the inner primary as well I would think, but could be wrong.
tourbox

The noise sounds like (rockers rattling) but only when you are in motion.
The noise is more prevelant in lower gears (1-3), under 50mph)
When at road speed (50 -80) you don't really hear any noise from it.
If I pull the clutch (and coast) when I hear the noise, the noise will go away, as soon as I let the clutch out the noise comes back.
I don't have any noises while starting, and it does seem to be more noticeable when it is hot.

I just don't see that unit makig that kind of noise during those times. If it was falling apart or a couple of washer springs were broken, it would,,, but then it would also make noise when starting.

See if you could find out if your compensator is part #40296-06A by looking at a parts manual.

I am sure the compensator is the original unit from the 88"; has to be or, as tourbox points out, not only the primary would have to be changed out but the crank as well.

The offender may be the cover assembly, the ouside piece of hardware that covers the other compensator hardware. This piece has the Bellville springs that can weaken over time and will rattle.

There are two ways to fix the problem.

1. Purchas a new cover assembly, about $110 from an online discount dealer.
2. Find a sacrificial compensator and remove one spring from the old one and add it to the stack of three in your compensator. Not hard to do, just need a press (could get by with a vise) to compress the spring packs to R/R a spring. Compress the spring pack on the sacrificial cover assembly, bend the three "ears" back that secure the springs; release the springs and remove one. Compress the spring pack in your compenator, bend the "ears" back, add the spring from the sacrificial spring cover to the stack, compress the stack; bend the "ears" back into place and your done. Use vise grips, or the tool of your choice for bending the ears.

If a rattling spring pack is the problem and you can get your hands on a sacrificial cover assembly, once you remove the outer primary, you are about an hour away from solving your problem.

Of course, the noise could be something even easier to address, like a primary chain adjustment or a worn or loose primary chain adjustor. Best thing to do is get your hands on a service manual, pull the outer primary and take a look.:s:s

I am sure the compensator is the original unit from the 88"; has to be or, as tourbox points out, not only the primary would have to be changed out but the crank as well.

The offender may be the cover assembly, the ouside piece of hardware that covers the other compensator hardware. This piece has the Bellville springs that can weaken over time and will rattle.

There are two ways to fix the problem.

1. Purchas a new cover assembly, about $110 from an online discount dealer.
2. Find a sacrificial compensator and remove one spring from the old one and add it to the stack of three in your compensator. Not hard to do, just need a press (could get by with a vise) to compress the spring packs to R/R a spring. Compress the spring pack on the sacrificial cover assembly, bend the three "ears" back that secure the springs; release the springs and remove one. Compress the spring pack in your compenator, bend the "ears" back, add the spring from the sacrificial spring cover to the stack, compress the stack; bend the "ears" back into place and your done. Use vise grips, or the tool of your choice for bending the ears.

If a rattling spring pack is the problem and you can get your hands on a sacrificial cover assembly, once you remove the outer primary, you are about an hour away from solving your problem.

Of course, the noise could be something even easier to address, like a primary chain adjustment or a worn or loose primary chain adjustor. Best thing to do is get your hands on a service manual, pull the outer primary and take a look.:s:s

I have a manual, and have been in the outer, chain is to specs, tensioner is new.

It could be the springs, I need to take a look at it.

Unfortunately I had a car pull out in front of me a couple days ago, and we shared some space for a few moments, so the least of my worries at the moment are a rattle.

Back