free website stats program Annoying Rattle | Harley Davidson Forums

Annoying Rattle

bikerdad

I have an annoying rattle that I can’t seem to locate. When riding at low speed of idling at a traffic light I hear a loud rattle. At higher RPM or as I ease the clutch out it stops. Sitting on top, it sounds like it is from the front so I was thinking it was in the fork sliders or front brakes but everything checks out OK. I have discovered that if I lean on the air cleaner or top of a cylinder head it stops. I do have a lot of vibration in the engine that smoothes out at higher RPM.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

On my Electra Glide the right floor board at times rattles badly. Checking the attachment bolts may help. Also the rear rubber exhaust hangers will also squeak and need lubed. Do you happen to have Rush mufflers??? there have been numerous occasions where for some unknown reason the baffle or baffles rattle in muffler. Hope this helps.:s

Weird sounds can be extremely hard to detect...I've had to form a paper cone & hold up to ear while slowly walking/listening around the bike...like a Dr.'s stethoscope. Got to be patient and meticulous.

V&H pipes, I will look at the hangers. Floorboards are OK, still does it with my feet holding them in position.

Thanks for the help.

You stated that if you lean on the aircleaner the rattle stops. Check the upper torque link from the motor to the frame for bad or missing bushings or loosness. Also, check the aircleaner bolts, tank mount bolts, horn mount bolts and all upper connectors and mounts. Might not hurt to look at the engine mount points as well.

All good advice above, you might also want to check the lower motor mount.

You stated that if you lean on the aircleaner the rattle stops. Check the upper torque link from the motor to the frame for bad or missing bushings or loosness. Also, check the aircleaner bolts, tank mount bolts, horn mount bolts and all upper connectors and mounts. Might not hurt to look at the engine mount points as well.

All good advice above, you might also want to check the lower motor mount.

Holding the top of either cylinder also quiets it so I don't think it is the air cleaner. Might be motor mounts. I was unaware that there is an upper mount and I did have the tank off over the winter for paint so that is a good idea, I will look there. Thanks

Lower motor mounts were loose.

I guess I have to add this to my list of things to check periodically.

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm not sure with your model but for my 05 there is an upgraded version for the lower mount.

Back